Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

The Cross and Medal of Independence

Article about: Here is a complete ‘award package’ issued to a recipient of the Medal of Independence. It consists of the following components: 1) the decoration – full size and miniature 2) the presentatio

Default Re: The Cross and Medal of Independence

Hi again Pawel,

Don't shoot in the dark - just go back to the beginning of this thread for all of the basic information on this decoration!

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Hi Tony,

Yeap, got it. Thanks.
    Pawel.

Just found this thread from the search, Im in Poland as i speak and i have chance to get one of these Medals with Diploma from a Antyk shop that sells Orygnal Militaria often..... I wondering what prices in you guys opinions that should be for the Medal and Dyploma only both unboxed as how are shown in Original packet state?

Cenowski, please post some pictures if possible. As always, condition is important. Ideally the diploma should not have any creases from having been folded. The ‘kolejowy’ ID booklet is also good to have along with the full size diploma. The medal should be in good condition on its original issue ribbon, preferably the wz.29 hook & eye type. A premium would apply if the recipient was a recognized figure, an officer in the armed forces, or pictured in military uniform

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Default Cross of Independence

Hi Guys,
    In Poland at the moment and have purchased this Cross of Independence, it looks legitimate to me and I have also got some information about the original recipient, not sure if anyone could check the name for me, I was told it was Zygmund Bezef, but some further assurance would be great!
    Thanks in advance!
    Michal
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Cross and Medal of Independence   The Cross and Medal of Independence  

The Cross and Medal of Independence   The Cross and Medal of Independence  

Hi Michal,

The cross looks genuine, and quite likely a Gontarczyk product. Ribbon looks period as well, although the hook-eye set up has either been recently repaired or converted as modern looking fittings are used.

As far as verifying the recipient, I don’t know of any existing records listing individuals that were awarded the 2nd Class cross (without swords) or the 3rd Class medal. Post #15 of this thread provides the names of those awarded the top grade of this award, the cross with swords.

Hope you’re having a great time in Poland!
    Tony

Thanks for you help again Tony,
    Yes the hook-eye set up looks to be modified to me too, wear & tear I guess! When I have a bit of time I will translate the history of the recipient and post some copies of photos I received from the family member. Also I picked up this medal of independence, missing ribbon. It has a mint mark on the bottom left, who would be the maker of this one. I have also seen one with an arrow type mint mark. Enjoying Poland with the family, we are staying at my inlaws between Krakow and Zakopane near Rabka, nice mountain views and snow. Something I don't get in hot Australia!! And of course polish food and drink!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Cross and Medal of Independence   The Cross and Medal of Independence  

Hi again Michal,

It’s good to hear that you’re having a pleasant time in Poland. No doubt there’s a big change in weather from the southern hemisphere! Please do post the additional info re the cross’s recipient.

Your medal bears the “WG” mark of the Wiktor Gontarczyk operation. A few weeks ago I took some close up pictures of the medal variants that I haven’t yet had the time to post. Will try to get them on here this weekend.

Cheers,
    Tony

As promised, side by side comparsion of four variants of the Medal of Independence, the third class of this decoration:

Editor's note: information being updated

Regards,
    Tony
    Last edited by A.J. Zawadzki; 11-19-2016 at 08:12 PM.

Very nicely presented Tony! Any idea on numbers issued of each maker? Would the NM issue be most common or the WG issue.
    Regards
    Mike

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast