Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

The Cross and Medal of Independence

Article about: Here is a complete ‘award package’ issued to a recipient of the Medal of Independence. It consists of the following components: 1) the decoration – full size and miniature 2) the presentatio

Default Re: The Cross and Medal of Independence

Hi Leigh,

Thanks for your posts. It’s good to see that interim award document again. A rare example by virtue of the association with the 1st Class of the decoration and a most worthy addition to this thread.

Re-reading the earlier posts reveals that I hadn’t come through on an earlier promise to post some more items related to this decoration. Aside from the fresh snowfall here the weather is cooperating so I’ll get outdoors for some pics under natural light and post later.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Quote by A Grandson View Post
    . . . I am wondering if you can recommend where I can take the medal to have it authenticated and to perhaps learn more about its' origin? Earlier thread postings suggest various sources producing it.
    That’s a good question. Further to my pm, the best way of authenticating any item is to study known genuine examples to get familiar with all of the characteristics. But that is a process that takes some time, and not everyone has access to original pieces for comparison and handling.

Posted below are some clear pictures I took of a genuine cross. Note the high quality of the enamel work. Smooth and glass like. I have also put it next to one of the copies floating about the market. In a moment I’ll assemble some pictures of the swords section to illustrate the characteristics to keep an eye out for.

If at all possible try to take some close up pictures of your cross and post them here. I realize that it is behind glass, but you should still be able to get reasonably good pictures by taking the frame outdoors and photographing it from a slight angle while watching for reflections in the glass. Having the frame facing a dark surface while taking the pictures will help in preventing reflections. Once the authenticity is determined we can delve into the area of cross manufacturers.

T.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Cross and Medal of Independence   The Cross and Medal of Independence  

The Cross and Medal of Independence   The Cross and Medal of Independence  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

OK, now to the all important swords section.

There are two types of “fakes” common on the market. One type utilizes the cross section from another decoration. Some of these are legitimate replacement crosses made for individuals who have lost their original crosses.

The most commonly used swords are the type shown in the series of pictures below which show a cast fake next to my genuine cross. Some fakes also use the cross section taken from the Polish Cross of Merit.

There are also fakes that use reproduced versions of the original swords section. Two examples are posted below.

Regards,
    T.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Cross and Medal of Independence   The Cross and Medal of Independence  

Here’s an example of a legitimate replacement Cross of Independence with Swords using the swords taken from the Polish Cross of Merit.

This cross forms part of the grouping that belonged to General Michał Karasiewicz-Tokarzewski. This cross was photographed at an exhibition of his decorations and uniform in Toronto, Canada just prior to the departure of the entire collection to Poland in 2007. Among the decorations on display happened to be a Spink & Son made Gold Cross of Merit which has the swords section used in the Independence cross.

Coincidentally, the Krzysztof Filipow book devoted to this decoration has a painting of Karasiewicz-Tokarzewski gracing its cover.

T.

Hi Tony,

I finally figured out how to upload photographs from my Albums at least I hope that I have, these are Legitymacja for the Cross of Independence with swords and for the Cross and Medal as well that I have found on the internet.

I hope that you all enjoy

Best wishes for the new Year

Hi Tony,

Sorry I forgot to add the equals sign, I hope that it works this time

Best wishes

Andrew

Hi Tony,

I will try again

Andrew

Hi once more dear friends,

I hope that I have cracked it this time these are the images that I have found on the internet of Legitymacja for the Cross of Independence with Swords, the Cross of Independence and the Medal of Independence I hope that you all enjoy.

Once again best wishes for the New Year

Andrew

Hi everyone,

Sorry I forgot probably the best of the lot.

Best wishes

Andrew

Hi again,

If you havenot noticed yet, there are Legitymacja's to a Husband and Wife Marja Pietrzykowska was awarded the Cross of Independence, whilst her husband Ferdynand Pietrzykowski was awarded the Cross of Independence with Swords.

Andrew

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast