Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

The Cross and Medal of Independence

Article about: Here is a complete ‘award package’ issued to a recipient of the Medal of Independence. It consists of the following components: 1) the decoration – full size and miniature 2) the presentatio

Default Re: The Cross and Medal of Independence

Hi Tony,

I'am going to upload photos of some of the 1863 Uprising Veterans, I started by checking their Names against the Puchalski/Wawrzynski Book and guess what so far I have found 3 mistakes with regards to the Christian Names of the recipients of the Independence Cross with Swords.

I thought that I might be wrong, if I was I would hold my hands up and say so.

But I have checked through the Rocznik Oficerski for 1923, 1924, 1928, 1932.

Guess what I was right I will give the following examples:

Number:14 on the list is Jakub Bogdanowski, the Rocznik Oficerski list's him as Jozef in all 4 Volumes.

Number:30 on the list is Tadeusz Chmielinski, the Rocznik Oficerski list's him as Tomasz in all 4 Volumes.

Number: 36 on the list is Andrzej Cielicki, the Rocznik Oficerski list's him as Aleksander in all 4 Volumes.

The 1923 Volume: Pages:37-67

The 1924 Volume: Pages: 86-113

The 1928 Volume: Pages: 859-874 (this list's Veterans of 1831,1848,1863)

The 1932 Volume: Pages: 917-920.

I have not the time to check through every name, but it makes you wonder how many more mistakes have been made.

I will list all the photographs of the 1863 Veterans who where awarded the Cross of Indpendence with Swords.

So watch this space, any way I have taken enough of your time already.

Best wishes for the New Year to you and your family Tony.

Andrew

I have managed to track down 18 photographs of individual 1863 Veterans, I hope that you like them.

Hi Everyone,

Just to say that if you would like to know who all the individuals are then please visit my profile and click on the album then each of the photographs.

Happy New Year to All.

Andrew

Thank you Andrzej, amazing pictures, so nice to see tham, a spatially for the last day of 2010, I wonder what 2011 will bring.
    Happy New Year,
    Mariusz

Thank you Tony for taking your time and posting the info on the crosses, good pictures, must take you long time to prepare that for us. I wont be expert after learning about the crosses, but fore sure I will know much more.
    Happy New Year
    Mariusz

Andrzejku – thank you for posting these photographs, especially of the veterans of the 1863 January Uprising. Many of them contain nice clear images of the Cross of Independence with Swords. These add a very nice dimension to this discussion. Good stuff!

Also, your observation of errors with some of the names on the award list is interesting, and not altogether surprising. I have also encountered similar inconsistencies in some records, one of which relates to another decoration that I will eventually bring up for discussion here.

Mariusz, you’re most welcome. I have some leisure holiday time to burn this week, so after ‘A Grandon’s’ post here several days ago it reminded me of the unfinished business with this thread. Stay tuned for more items that I’ll post shortly once the pictures taken yesterday are cropped and prepared. But first off , to add to Andrzejku’s series of posts showing the booklet ‘legitymacje’, here’s one with a strangely familiar surname . . .

Happy New Year to you all!

Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Cross and Medal of Independence  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Wow!

This has been an amazing journey. The photos of the uprising veterns are outstanding! The uniforms and decorations are quite striking. I can see why people are collecting and treasuring items from this era. Also, I am fascinated by the character in their faces and eyes!

The photos of the medal and the characteristics to look for, have been very helpful.

What started out for me as an attempt to find out something about my grandfather, has now turned into a much anticipated daily trip to this web site to check out anything and everything on it.

Happy New Year!

Here’s the notification of award initially mailed to recipients of the cross or medal. This one is for the 2nd Class cross without swords. It contains the instructions to:

1) pay the sum of 19 złoty to the stated account number and “the decoration along with a diploma will me mailed immediately”
    2) complete the enclose questionnaire and mail to the address stated

Also pictured is the completed questionnaire. The questions include type of occupation, date and place of birth, and mother’s maiden name.

T.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Cross and Medal of Independence   The Cross and Medal of Independence  

The Cross and Medal of Independence   The Cross and Medal of Independence  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Here is a bank receipt issued to confirm payment into the account of the Committee of the Cross and Medal of Independence. This is a blank one, although curiously the reverse is marked with the name of a fellow named Michał Barań. Above it is a number 14/17?083 that is consistent with the numbering system I have seen used with this award. The letters “ś.p.” ahead of the name indicates that this person is deceased. I wonder if the “K” below the name is an indication of the grade of the award, namely the “krzyż” (cross)?

T.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Cross and Medal of Independence   The Cross and Medal of Independence  

The Cross and Medal of Independence   The Cross and Medal of Independence  

Here we have a notification of the award of the Medal of Independence dated April 26, 1939, shortly before the German and Soviet invasions. It’s it important to note the sad and tragic reality that recipients of all grades of this decoration were essentially marked people that were of special interest to the invaders. Both the Nazis and Soviets singled out these individuals as real and potential threats to their plans for Poland, and as such many faced tragic consequences. The Germans favored concentration camps whereas the Russians preferred deportation deep into the Soviet Union for forced labour. Many thousands of innocent Poles perished as a result.

Again, a payment of 8 złoty for the medal is requested. Now, in addition to the decoration and diploma, the small booklet “legitymacja” ID is mentioned. I believe that these small booklets were first issued in 1933 and were offered for all subsequent awards of this decoration.

Also interesting is the additional notes relating to this booklet ID and its use as a discount pass for public transit, with different discount rates for the 1st class Cross with Swords (equal to that of the Virtuti Militari). The lower grades were subject to a lesser discount. The booklet cost an additional fee of 2 złoty which was to be submitted along with the addition of two small photos “on a light background with no head covering”. The final stipulation was that the discount applied only to the decorated individual and not their families.

T.

The Cross and Medal of Independence  

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast