Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Does anyone recognize this eagle?

Article about: I would like to ask you gentleman your opinion. Who might have worn that eagle?

?

Default Does anyone recognize this eagle?

I would like to ask you gentleman your opinion. Who might have worn that eagle?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Does anyone recognize this eagle?  

Default Re: Does anyone recognize this eagle?

It's a collar French tab, WWI?
    Cheers,
    Michel

Hi Simon, on first glance the piping and eagle style remind me of a Haller Blue Army collar tab that was either cut out in this triangular shape, or may have been originally this shape and fitted the collar points. Blue Army uniforms were produced in a bewildering variety of types and insignia configurations, both period service uniforms and then the ones produced for the veterans in the very active vet’s organizations, especially in the US. I’ll need to do some digging to back up my hunch, but hopefully we can get further comments from those with extensive colleting experience in this area such as member Piwo.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

While typing up my reply I see lebus12 posted, so we're on a similar track with French uniform style WW1 era.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

?

thanks Tony My first impression was Blue Haller's Army. I couldn't find any proving evidence anywhere. This patch appears similar to French WWI indeed

?

I looked in Polski Mundur Wojskowy by Henryk Wielicki on page 20 plate 30 Armii Polskiej we Francji and it does not match any of the branch of service drawings illustrated there.

I am sure it is French but it may in fact be a French branch of service device. You would need to llok at a French military insignia book to be sure.

Cheers,
    Piwo

Some digging through the archives revealed these images of an early Haller Blue Army tunic. You can see some similarities with the collar insignia, although nothing conclusive here. Strangely, the eagle is inverted on the unfirm collars rendering it upside down when viewed from the front.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Does anyone recognize this eagle?   Does anyone recognize this eagle?  

Does anyone recognize this eagle?   Does anyone recognize this eagle?  

Quote by Piwo2 View Post
    I looked in Polski Mundur Wojskowy by Henryk Wielicki on page 20 plate 30 Armii Polskiej we Francji and it does not match any of the branch of service drawings illustrated there.

I am sure it is French but it may in fact be a French branch of service device. You would need to llok at a French military insignia book to be sure.

Cheers,
    Piwo

Thanks , for showing thise!
    It reveals great similtude with Belgian WWI insigna's.
    cheers
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

?

Thank you all guys for responding
    Comparing pictures of Tony`s posting I`d say it is indeed off Haller`s soldier uniform. Similarities between those 2 eagles are striking