Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Eagle / Crossed Swords Insignia

Article about: Dear Colleagues, After a few hours of searching the internet and various reference books, I am still unable to get even the slightest clue as to what this is. To me, it seems very close to t

Default Eagle / Crossed Swords Insignia

Dear Colleagues,

After a few hours of searching the internet and various reference books, I am still unable to get even the slightest clue as to what this is.

To me, it seems very close to the Polish eagle crest, but, without the crown. However, the crossed swords seem to be U.S. Cavalry type.

Perhaps someone can assist me in shedding some light upon this enigma.

It measures 44mm X 37mm.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    Richie
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Eagle / Crossed Swords Insignia   Eagle / Crossed Swords Insignia  

Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

looks like a Polish eagle to me.

You're both on the right track. It is a Polish eagle, made in the United States right around 1917-1919 for one or more of the patriotic organizations that existed at the time. These organizations were founded by immigrants to preserve Polish culture, traditions, to celebrate patriotic commemorations, and to welcome new arrivals from Poland. They also worked at furthering the cause of an independent Poland, which for 123 years was partitioned between Russia, Germany and Austria. Many of these organizations maintained a military character through the use of uniforms, hence the creation of badges such as these. Richie, yours is a nice example that appears to be stamped from slightly thicker stock than most. One does not often find the fastening wires intact.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Tony,

Your reply and it's contents are greatly appreciated.

Many thanks for solving this enigma for me.

While we're here, was this some type of headgear adornment?

Regards,
    Richie
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

Hello Richie, you're most welcome. As to your question whether this was this some type of headgear adornment, I suspect that it was. While I have yet to see a period photograph showing this particular eagle in wear, most of the similar eagles made from metal for the patriotic organizations of the time were for headwear. If I come across any more information or a photo I'll be sure to revisit this thread to post the new information.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne