Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Funeral of Marshal Pilsudski

Article about: YouTube - Pogrzeb Józefa Pi?sudskiego

?

Default Funeral of Marshal Pilsudski

Default Re: Funeral of Marshal Pilsudski

Many thanks for the post Gary. I have watched this many times over since it was posted on YouTube, which is an absolute gold mine for some of these very rare snippets of footage from pre-war Poland. Riveting stuff. So many fascinating scenes throughout, including a glimpse of the German delegation. One can watch this over and over and still see new things each time.

My father was a 13 year old boy when Pilsudski died and vividly remembers the day the train carrying Pilsudski’s coffin passed through the local strain station outside Kielce on its way to Krakow. The entire town was present along the tracks as the train passed by carrying the coffin out on open display sitting atop an artillery gun. It remains one of his clearest memories, including that of being in Pilsudski’s midst several years earlier during a visit to Kielce – perhaps to commemorate the anniversary of the Marshall’s Cadre Company attempt here at sparking a national uprising in August 1914.

Thanks again for the post. Highly recommended viewing to anyone with even the slightest interest in Polish military history.

Regards,
    T.

?

Default Re: Funeral of Marshal Pilsudski

Tony,
    I did seem some more film somewhere else, .. and it showed the soldiers dressed in their WZ31 helmets and greatcoats with the military standards outside the building where Pilsudski's coffin was held.
    They looked immaculate, ... and impressive, as the coffin was moved through the ranks !

Gary J.

Guys
    Here is a photo i took 2 years ago of the great mans final resting place under the Krakow Cathedral in Wawel Castle, Krakow.
    It's a very sacred place. The Sikorski tomb as well as many other poles of note are there! To me it had a much more intimate feel than in the Pantheon in Paris.

Michal
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Funeral of Marshal Pilsudski  

Thanks for posting as i never knew where the great man was interred, i've walked down ul Marszałka Józefa Piłsudskiego many times though!..

Pilsudzkis body was embalmed and was on display for a few years in this coffin, it had a glass lid, the embalming was not very good quality and soon after the lid was put on has not been opened since. He also donated his brain to a university for study, his heart went to be buried at the feet of his mothers grave along with his war decorations (now Lithuania). He certainly knew how to make people remember the legend long after he was gone!!!

Hi Michal,

Just to show what you ment by Marshal Pilsudski on display, I have found the following photogrpahs of the Marshal in the Wawel after his death in May 1935.

the 2nd shows a family looking in at the body of Marshal Pilsudski some time iafter his funeral in May 1935

Please click on both photographs ro enlarge

I hope that you find them interesting

Best wishes

Andrzejku

Wow great photos Andrzejku! Much Appreciated!!

Michal

Quote by michal79 View Post
    . . . his heart went to be buried at the feet of his mothers grave along with his war decorations (now Lithuania). . .
    I was always under the impression that the decorations remained in the Wawel. The photographs posted by Andrzejku seem to corroborate this, at least as far as his Virtuti Militari. Perhaps his lesser decorations ended up at the tomb in present day Vilnius - ??

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

The documentary I had watched a while ago said that he wanted, in his will ,for his decorations buried with his mother, but it didn't mention the extent of which decorations, if it happened after the coffin was closed it could be a possibility. Would be great if anyone knows the documented truth to this? Are they on Pilsudzki, stored somewhere or in the ground in Vilnius?

Michal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast