Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

GS badge(Gora Stracenia). Defence of Lwow.1918

Article about: Hello, I believe GS stand for Gora Stracenia, Unofficial badge worn by Battle of Lwow veterans, Commanded by rtm. Roman Abraham during Defence of Lwow (Lviv) in 1918. I have the GS badge in

Default GS badge(Gora Stracenia). Defence of Lwow.1918

Hello,

I believe GS stand for Gora Stracenia, Unofficial badge worn by Battle of Lwow veterans, Commanded by rtm. Roman Abraham during Defence of Lwow (Lviv) in 1918.
    I have the GS badge in my possession from 8 years, Found in the U.K. Screw on reverse, maker's mark Antoni Peczsz- Wilno. I want to verify the authenticity of badge. I have never seen a genuine one. What is your opinion on this? Thank you for any comments you can provide.

Kind Regards
    Alex
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture GS badge(Gora Stracenia). Defence of Lwow.1918   GS badge(Gora Stracenia). Defence of Lwow.1918  

GS badge(Gora Stracenia). Defence of Lwow.1918   GS badge(Gora Stracenia). Defence of Lwow.1918  

GS badge(Gora Stracenia). Defence of Lwow.1918   GS badge(Gora Stracenia). Defence of Lwow.1918  

Hello Alex,

I am away from my photo archives at the moment, but off-the-cuff I also do not recall seeing a confirmed original of the "Góra Straceń" badge. Based on several factors, including the fake Peczsz spinner, it is safe to say that yours is one of the very many copies of this badge. One of the rarest of the early Second Polish Republic badges, it has been widely reproduced more than a few times. Complicating matters is the possibility that copies were also made in Poland before the war. The literature I could find states that originals were made in silver and measured 33 x 23 mm. The reverse of these apparently contains an inscription roughly translated: "May our holy nation be strengthened by these who proudly die for you".

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Also i believe these were numbered and not very many awarded. Yes, believe it or not copies were made before the War.....

Never seen original.

Tony and Krakow1, thank you for sharing your knowledge! I wish this is a pre-war copy. Prabably no chance anyway.

Kind Regards
    Alex