Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Haller tunic and czapka, helmet and fuzerka

Article about: This is part of a complete uniform grouping that I have to a doctor from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania that was a commissioned captain in Hallers Legions. The tunic is on display in the Cleveland

?

Itakdalej,

Thank you. I did some research on Karol Olgiero Jurasz, he lived in Colorado was born in Poland and registered for the WWI draft.
    I wonder if the address on the card is in Warsaw? The woman's card.....seamstress? social worker? palm reader?
    Another story we'll never know. I shall work on deciphering the name in the tunic. I believe there is a roster of all those soldiers who participated in the Typhus Relief Expedition...cant be too many with that rank.
    thanks again for you assistance

Paul,

I think that the "Andzia " card is for some kind of small business, it was located in a apartment. The address on the first card : " 4 Czarnieckiego " could be in Warsaw.

Haller tunic and czapka, helmet and fuzerkaI have a US Army Officers group of a US Army Major who in 1919 was in Poland for the Typhus Relief expedition.
    On May 29th 1919 Dr Tomasz Janiszewski , Poland's Minister of public health declared that a cordon sanitaire must be established from Baltic to the Adriatic, isolating eastern Europe from Western. The persons infected with typhus and other diseases were to be detained, bathed, their hair cut , and other clothes disinfected and deloused or replaced when needed. These persons were to be hospitalized if necessary, properly quarantined and finally released with a "certificate of delousation ".
    About a million cases of typhus existed at that time and about hundred thousand deaths per week in Eastern Europe at that time.
    America decided to help. They created the " American Polish Typhus Relief Expedition , later known as American Polish Relief Expedition headquartered in Warsaw.
    I will only examine Major Dunbars activities.

- - ------- - -

Haller tunic and czapka, helmet and fuzerkaHaller tunic and czapka, helmet and fuzerkaHaller tunic and czapka, helmet and fuzerkaHaller tunic and czapka, helmet and fuzerkaHaller tunic and czapka, helmet and fuzerka

Here is the uniform group belonging to Col Dunbar.

?

What a spectacular uniform grouping from such a early time period.
    Do tell the story of its acquisition.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]818786[/ATTACH

]Major Lee Dunbar was former Chief of Bathing and delousing Division of US Third Army in 1919 in France.
    In 1919 Hallers men were beginning to be discharged and they wanted to come back to USA.
    In Poland they were organized into companies of 106 men each by American military attache in Warsaw assisted by Polish Officers. The American Consul in Warsaw certified validity of each mens citizenship , American Red Cross supplied clean underclothing for each passenger together with other things after final delousing just prior to embarking.
    Us Army regular troop transports between US and Antwerp, Belgium were extended to Danzig.
    First camp that Hallers men encountered were in Skierniewice and Pomochevek near Modlin, however these being too small so a Camp was established at Grupa.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Haller tunic and czapka, helmet and fuzerka  

Major Dunbars wife joined him in Poland briefly...

?

Colonel Dunbar is referenced in the index 17 times in Typhus and Doughboys by Alfred Cornbise .

Clearly an important figure in this the first US Army Relief program.

?

In a Relief Expedition grouping I own there is a diary of a crew member from the US ship Antigone.

He speaks of the Poles returning home.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast