Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help with Bayonet info

Article about: Could anyone possibly give me any views or info on wether the Bayonet in the pictures below are likey to be real or just a badly made attempt to create a false peace of history? I know there

Default Help with Bayonet info

Could anyone possibly give me any views or info on wether the Bayonet in the pictures below are likey to be real or just a badly made attempt to create a false peace of history? I know there is only two pictures and that dosnt help but its all i have at the moment.

Its said to be a re used for Polish service and is a austrian mannlicher 1895.

Help with Bayonet infoHelp with Bayonet info

Regards

?

Default Re: Help with Bayonet info

Austrian,mounted,missing sight from crossguard. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Missing sight in crossguard?

?

It may (and I stress may) have come through WW1 in Austro-Hungarian service, where there where Polish units (K.U.K), and "migrated" into Polish service after 1918.

Ofcourse that it what is what it is presented as, but all it has as a proof of history is a stamp on the end which could of been put there by anyone with a bit of machinery. I looked around the net and couldnt find anyother pictures with a Wz. stamps and the handle end.

?

My Austrian N.C.O. Mounted bayonet. Rich A. in Pa.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with Bayonet info  
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

I don't have it with me right now but I took a look at my copy of Bagnet Wojska Ploskiego 1914-1999 Vol1 by Krzystof Szczeglow last night which detail Austro Hungarian bayonets used by the Wojsko Polskie.

I have a concern with the letters and numbers at the end of the pommel. All the lettering that I have observed on Polish bayonets has been on the side of the pommel, cross piece or on the blade itself. Plus its usually the bayonet model designation placed on the pommel - I was unable to find a w.z. 1124 bayonet. There are wz.22 and wz.24 bayonets. The letter/number combination could be W.Z.1.1.24 which might be indicative of an Austrian unit marking and not Polish at all.

Help with Bayonet info

That said: I do note that the scabbard appears to have V&N which would be Vogel & Noot of Wartberg, a supplier of scabbards to the Austrians. V&N is reported on Austro Hungarian bayonets taken into Polish service. And on the riccaso itself it appers that it is stamp OWEG which would be correct for an Austrian mannlicher 1895 bayonet. Its hard to tell from the photo if that is a Polish eagle on the scabbard or the dual headed eagle of the Austrian monarchy - I suspect the later. Check this web site for more info:

Austrian 1895

Here are pics of a Polish M95 bayonet courtesy of the old-smithy site:

Help with Bayonet infoHelp with Bayonet info

Many thanks for the advise, you have confirmed that my concerns are valid and i wont bother buying this Bagnet.

If the price is right, it may be worth buying it as an Austrian bayonet for trade. I would suggest posting the pics in the Imperial forum to see if the numbering on the back of the pommel is indicative of an Austrian unit.

I sincerely hope it wasn't added to pose as a Polish bayonet.