Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Help identifying medals

Article about: I purchased these medals from an antique mall that was going out of business. I know that the medal on the right is for the Polish -Soviet War but don't have much information on the other tw

Default Help identifying medals

Help identifying medals
    I purchased these medals from an antique mall that was going out of business. I know that the medal on the right is for the Polish -Soviet War but don't have much information on the other two.
    Any information about these medals: what they were awarded for, original or replicas, is appreciated.
    Regards,
    Scott

either perhaps spanish or austrian is what i think but its just a guess

cheers DS

I am fairly certain that these are polish medals.

Hello Scott,

All 3 medals are Polish and from left to right:

1) Medal Ochotniczy za Wojne ( Volunteers War Medal) it rewarded voluntary service in the period 1918-1821, like the Volunteers War Cross both these awards were instituted in 1939, the outbreak of the 2nd World War prevented their award.

These copies have been found on the market since the early 1990s.

2) An American Volunteers Veterans Medal (not sure of its title no doubt Tony will be able to state its real title)

3)1918-1921 War Commemorative Medal established 21st September 1928.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Thank you all for the information. Can anyone recommend a good reference book for Polish medals (preferably in English)?

Quote by andrzejku98 View Post
    Hello Scott,

All 3 medals are Polish and from left to right:
    . . .
    2) An American Volunteers Veterans Medal (not sure of its title no doubt Tony will be able to state its real title)
    Hi Scott,

This is a Brązowy Krzyż Pamiątkowy XV-lecia Czynu Zbrojnego Wychodźstwa Polskiego w Ameryce – roughly translated as the Bronze Commemorative Cross of the 15th Anniversary of the Armed Action of Polish Emigrants in America. Available in both silver and bronze grades, it was originally issued in 1932. This is the initial issue , and quite scarce. It is suspended from its original ribbon with the tri-star pinback band. The cross was reissued some 40 years later, with some changes including simplification of the band by removing the stars.

Quote by Scott Banaszynski View Post
    Thank you all for the information. Can anyone recommend a good reference book for Polish medals (preferably in English)?
    There aren’t any good ones that I’m aware of. Plenty of English language info on the web though. My favourite go-to reference is the 2009 reissue of Stefan Oberleitner’s Polskie Ordery, Odznaczenia i Niektóre Wyróżnienia Zaszczytne, Book 1.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help identifying medals  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Thank you for your assistance Mr. Zawadzki. I will search for the for English language information. I live in the Chicago area which has a very large Polish population and interesting items can still be found. If I recall correctly the above group of medals cost me 30 U.S. dollars so I am very pleased. Thanks again.

Hi Scott,

You’re most welcome. Good score on that medal set. One of those 15th Anniversary Commemorative Crosses sold recently for upwards of $200, so you did well. Best wishes in your hunting for Polish militaria out in Chicagoland. No doubt there’s still plenty of treasures waiting to be found.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne