Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Help with identifying photographs

Article about: Can anyone positively identify or offer an opinion of when these photos were taken? I've been told they are the 1938 Wolyn maneuvers. Is this one General Maczek reviewing the 10th BK? Are th

Default Help with identifying photographs

Can anyone positively identify or offer an opinion of when these photos were taken? I've been told they are the 1938 Wolyn maneuvers.

Is this one General Maczek reviewing the 10th BK?

Are these Polish 7 TP tanks during the Wolyn maneuvers?

Thanks

Default Re: Help with identifying photographs

First one is no doubt Zaolzie, November 27th 1938. Column of 10th Cavarly Brigade on its way to Bogimin in Czechoslovakia ... that was separated unit from 10-th Cav. commanded by col. Kazimierz Dworak from reconnaissance squadron.
    Short sample on YT:
    10 Brygada Kawalerii wkracza do Jaworzyny - 27 listopad 1938 - YouTube

Second with Vickers tanks is well known but i am not sure if it was taken on Wolyn in 1938.

Thanks Pat. I want to use the a copy of the top one in my display. Can you identify any of the officers present?

This column is part of the Reconnaissance Squadron correct? Do you know how or why it became separated from the rest of the squadron?

Correction in date - october not november, my bad During Zaolzie Operation 10 BK was in reserve of polish Task Force "Slask". While brigade remained in reserve colonel Dworak was choosed as a comanding officer of brigade's separate unit which goal was to take fast important Czech railway junction in Bohumin. There was a serious thread that Germans will take this station earlier so they had to act very fast to surpise them. Reconnaissance Squadron was a part of this separated unit. Polish forces Bohumin was taken on october 9th. I can't identify officers ...
    Last edited by pat15567; 05-23-2012 at 09:53 AM.

Thank you so much Pat. I'm almost certain that my father was in the Reconnaissance Squadron of the 10th BK so there is a good chance he was involved in this operation.

Do you know if there is a list of officers, NCOs and enlisted men of the 10 BK and their unit assignments with the Brigade? Are there more photographs of this operation and where might I find them (archives, book, etc) Thanks for your help.

List of officers + partialy NCO's are probably easy to find. Archives like CAW (Central Army Archive - ..:: Centralne Archiwum Wojskowe :: Strona g³ówna ::..) maybe useful. There are also plenty of books about 10-th cavalry so maybe there will be some data. Don't really know precisely, cavalry never was a point of my hobby

There are dozens of photographs from Zaolzie 1938 operation. Most of them one can find in Polish National Digital Archive (NAC) - Zbiory NAC on-line - prototyp - type Zaolzie or Zaolzia in search window, most are well described.

Some samples:

Gen. Maczek with 10-th Cavalry officers/soldiers on Zaolzie

Bohumin:

Thanks Pat.