Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Help with Identifying Polish Ribbon from the 1930s

Article about: Hey Everyone, Working through my grandfather's history, came across a small ribbon bar (no medals unfortunately) I know the red & white ribbon is for Long Service (10 years) as I have th

Hello Andrew,

I have scanned the Pages from the Rocznik Oficerow Kawalerji 1930 & Rocznik Oficerski 1932 for your Grandfathers entries, but it will not let me download them. So if you could send me a private email with your email address, I will send them to you.

Best wishes

Andrzejku

Quote by Rylke Flakelar View Post
    Just had a thought: since he was on the Polish Equestrian Team, do you think the white ribbon could have something to do with Grupa Sportu Konnego?
    Hello,

I agree that your Grandfather's medal ribbon must be from a medal won in Grupa Sportu Konnego.

Here is a link to Polski Związek Jeździecki (PZJ) -

Polski Zwi

Here is an interesting weblink on Polish wikipedia to the Centrum Wyszkolenia Kawalerii (CWKaw.) Cavalry Training Centre in the
    garnizonie (garrison) Grudziądz.

Centrum Wyszkolenia Kawalerii

Here is a link to the remembrance group of the Centrum Wyszkolenia Kawalerii (CWKaw.) Cavalry Training Centre in the
    garnizonie (garrison) Grudziądz.

Jazda Polska, Kawaleria Polska, U?ani, Fundacja na Rzecz Tradycji Jazdy Polskiej

Here is a link to the Polish Cavalry throughout the years -

Spis tre¶ci

I agree that your medal ribbon must be from a medal won in Grupa Sportu Konnego.

Here are some links to the Polish Equestrian Teams in the pre-war summer Olympics, there are also links to the pre-war winter Olympics.

Polska na Letnich Igrzyskach Olimpijskich 1924
    Polska na Letnich Igrzyskach Olimpijskich 1928
    Polska na Letnich Igrzyskach Olimpijskich 1932
    Polska na Letnich Igrzyskach Olimpijskich 1936

Here is an interesting link to Generał Brygady Piotr Skuratowicz, who was murdered at Katyn, with an interesting photo which I have attached

Piotr Skuratowicz

Here is an interesting link to Major Kazimierz Szosland, with an interesting photo which I have attached from a Equestrian championship in Warsaw in 1933 -

Kazimierz Szosland

Here is a link to the Regimental songs of the Polish Cavalry -

Żurawiejka – Wikipedia, wolna encyklopedia

Welcome to the forum.

Justin

Justin1939
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with Identifying Polish Ribbon from the 1930s   Help with Identifying Polish Ribbon from the 1930s  

Last edited by justin1939; 03-13-2014 at 07:02 PM.

Default Another Clue

Hey Justin,

Thanks for your reply.

From what I understand my grandfather (AJR) didn't compete at the 1936 Olympics but was a reserve (if anyone has any info on records of the Polski Związek Jeździecki that would be great). I have a Polish Olympic pin which I guess is testament to that. I need to confirm what level of involvement (if any) he had with these games. I do know he was in the team that was building towards the 1940 Olympics that, of course, never happened.

Now, to my new clue. I found the attached document, an application for a Commission in the British Army. Here is listed under "special qualifications" (point 7) reference to "attained Polish Grand Gold Jeton (for series of equestrian awards during International Competitions)"

I had previously researched what a Polish Grand Gold Jeton could be, with no success.

Does anyone have any clue as to what this award could be referring to, and if it is indeed denoted by a white ribbon?

Thanks,

a
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with Identifying Polish Ribbon from the 1930s  

Hey Guys,

I have just come across another card that refers to the "Grand Gold Jeton" referred to in my earlier post.

This is a card issued by the Polish Equestrian Federation, entitling the bearer to wear the badge "Złota Wielka", which I guess loosely translates as 'Grand Gold'.

Does anyone have any information they can shed on what this badge may be, or look like?

thanks

andy

Hello Andrew,

The Badge was worn by Officers on the cross strap of the sam browne belt, awarded in 3 Grades (Gold, Silver & Bronze) the badge is as pictured in your Grandfathers Legitymacja (Award Document).

I will try to find a photograph of one and will post it later.

Best wishes

Andrzejku

Hello Andrew,

As promised the Riding Proficiency Badges in Gilt and Silver

The Gilt was made by the Wiktor Gontarczyk Company in Warsaw and the Silver was made in Krakow.

Pictures from 2005 Auction Catalogue

Best wishes

Andrzejku

Hello Andrew,

I just thought that I would post a couple of photographs of the Committee Members from 1936 and 1938

1936 Committee meeting

1938 Committee meeting in Warsaw including Generals: Paszkiewicz, Rommel, Anders, Plk. Jozef Smolenski

Best wishes

Andrzejku

Hello Andrew.

To illustrate what I meant by saying Officers placed Proficiency Badges on the Cross strap of their Sam Browne Belt, I have found 3 photographs of General Wladyslaw Anders which well illustrate his own Proficiency Badges.

General Anders with General Sikorski and General Klimecki

General Anders with Generals Klimecki and Zajac

General Anders with General Klimecki

Best wishes

Andrzejku

Hey Andrzejku,

Thanks for posting the photos. Which committee are those photos from?

I went back over some photos to see whether I could see my grandfather wearing the equestrian badge. The closest I could find is the attached, celebrating the national team's victory in the Cup of Nations in Warsaw, 1938. You can see there is a small round badge roughly where a Sam Browne would be, were he wearing one (that's him in the middle).

Then there's this photo from a competition in Nice. Again it looks like he's wearing a small round badge, this time next to the Sam Browne that he is wearing (second from the right).

I wonder whether this is the Equestrian Złota Wielka or…

Help with Identifying Polish Ribbon from the 1930sHelp with Identifying Polish Ribbon from the 1930sHelp with Identifying Polish Ribbon from the 1930s

Did he have a Rifleman's Badge? Since the back page hasn't been filled out, I'm not sure exactly how to interpret this card. Can any of you fine experts translate?

Or is the badge he's wearing in these photos something else?

The mystery continues…

Hi again Andy, First off, yes, he had "the right to wear" the Rifleman's Association badge after qualifying for the 3rd Class Bronze badge in November 1933. I don't think the small round badge he is wearing is the Związek Strzelecki badge. It's appears different and also a bit too small. Sorry I can't offer and more help with an ID.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast