Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Help with a lebel

Article about: Hello all, I inherited a bayonet collection from my grandfather. There is one in paticular I am having a hard time with. I know it is a french lebel issued to the polish army. It is marked B

Default Help with a lebel

Hello all, I inherited a bayonet collection from my grandfather. There is one in paticular I am having a hard time with. I know it is a french lebel issued to the polish army. It is marked BC. WZ. 86/93 on the handle. I know the WZ. 86/93 is common, can anyone shead some light on the BC.? I can post pictures if needed.

Photos please of any and all markings.

Thanks.

it also has a very small B on the butt end

Châtellerault is a French arsenal. Perhaps BC is a Polish mark for Bayonet Châtellerault Does it appear to be the same font for the BC and the wz.? If not I'm wondering if the BC is a French arsenal mark. Bourges is another French arsenal.

Perhaps someone else knows. You may want to post this in the French forum here and on Gunboards. I'll see if I can find a reference to it in my Polish bayonet book.

it appears to be the same print. It also has two numbers on the bottom instead of the usual one. I originally had it on ebay and a collector in Poland told me it was a missprint. I don't believe this is so and would like to find out before I let it go.

Would you post a photo of the two numbers in question? If the Polish collector is referring to 86/93 the 1886 Lebel was upgraded in 1893.

The abbreviation is not BC, but BG. - it stands for "Bagnet" ("Bayonet). So, the full markings should be read as: "Bagnet wz. 86/93".
    Best regards!
    Tomasz