Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

IIRP Merit Cross For Bravery? (Help)

Article about: I recently rolled the dice on a merit cross for bravery from ebay with a mismatched ribbon. It was very inexpensive. It appears to be an older cross (to me) but I need the opinions of some e

Default IIRP Merit Cross For Bravery? (Help)

I recently rolled the dice on a merit cross for bravery from ebay with a mismatched ribbon. It was very inexpensive. It appears to be an older cross (to me) but I need the opinions of some experts. I have been told it is possibly a London maker, but not Spink? From what I can tell, the modern cross for bravery is one piece and lacks the cuts between the arms of the cross.

Not a London maker as no Crosses of Merit for Bravery were awarded by the Polish Government in Exile. This cross is a post-1970 product of the Zygmunt Olszewski "Gravart" business located in Warsaw.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

I agree with Tony. KZ for Bravery was awarded during 2nd Republic and again from 1990-91 (?) during the current 3rd Republic. The cross was never awarded by London Exile government and not in PRL either. The type you show here is Polish made and I guess it's from late or mid 1980s. I lack accurate information tbh, so Tony's "post-1970 production" may as well be correct, but I tend to push the date further to mid 1980s. There are several different types of this Olszewski cross, but types don't contribute to price unfortunately. They are all cheap and should be considered as such.
    Some people may tell you, that this cross was made for "veterans" who lost the original cross. This is sadly not true.
    Best regards Aahauge

Tony, did Bialkiewicz make KZ for Bravery as "substitute" medals? Maybe in the 1960s? Not relevant for the above depicted cross, just being curious. It would have been a theoretical possibility, but I have never encountered any crosses that looked like a Bialkiewicz production.

I have not yet seen a Bialkiewicz made KZ for Bravery
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne