Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Interwar Polish Y Straps

Article about: Hi. I don't know a great deal about Polish militaria, but these Y straps came with a lot of leather items that I purchased. Can anyone tell me anything about them. They are in good condition

Default Interwar Polish Y Straps

Hi. I don't know a great deal about Polish militaria, but these Y straps came with a lot of leather items that I purchased. Can anyone tell me anything about them. They are in good condition overall. Would they have been used by cavalry or infantry or both? Any comments are welcome. Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interwar Polish Y Straps   Interwar Polish Y Straps  

Interwar Polish Y Straps   Interwar Polish Y Straps  

Sorry to say, but the straps seem to be a postwar French Army production. I could be wrong, but following details justify this statement:
    - shade of the Polish cavalry was different (shown here is typical for postwar, French product),
    - I could not notice metal rivets near O ring in Polish straps,
    - stamps / markings are so coarse that I suppose they were made with use of the potatoes... And the lonely Polish eagle at the bottom... !? It is typical for justifying the fakes.

Here are some photos of the use of original straps - not clearly visible but could be used for comparison
    Untitled Document
    The only thing that is very close to the original Polish item - the hook. That's all.

Additional info confirming that it is 100% fake - brass hooks have traces of verdigris, patina, but there are no similar signs on the leather. After so many years there should be! Otherwise, on the leather one can see round marks of hard, circular objects - those were typical French army hooks (as seen here: http://www.hayesotoupalik.com/images/DSCF3389.jpg)

Thanks for that Tomasz. It would appear then that these are French straps with bogus stamps then. I'm not very knowledgeable on Polish militaria so thought it was better to get an opinion from people who are. Cheers.