Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Kresy land grants to Polish soldiers

Article about: Hi, I read recently that there was a policy in the 2nd Republic to grant farm land in the Kresy to Polish soldiers that fought during WW1 and the Polish/Soviet war. Would anyone be able to p

Default Kresy land grants to Polish soldiers

Hi,

I read recently that there was a policy in the 2nd Republic to grant farm land in the Kresy to Polish soldiers that fought during WW1 and the Polish/Soviet war.

Would anyone be able to provide more info on this policy? Is there a way to trace this granting of land in the Kresy to the individual recipients?

Thanks.

Default Re: Kresy land grants to Polish soldiers

Thanks Itakdalej.

Would the Polish government or military have any such records. The web site seemed to be more of an interest group and I didn't see any links to finding land registered to former soldiers.

I know the disposition of the Kresy and what happen to Poles that settled there is still a contentious issue for some Poles.

Yes, Kresy is still an issue to an older generation and families of those, who were forced to leave. My grandmother and her entire family was from Wolyn. Most of Kresy related associations are private and are very helpful. Many records from Kresy came with resettled and can be found in various archives in "recovered territories". Wroclaw, Olsztyn and Szczecin are few places.

Thanks meyle77. I was surprised when looking for any information on my uncle who disappeared after the Soviet invasion, to find my father listed on a Kresy web site. I had never considered that his family lived in the Kresy as the prewar Polish/Soviet border seemed to be far from the family farm/village he grew up in (the Polish/Ukrainian border is now approximately 5 miles away).

Hence I'm trying to find out more information especially when I learned that farm land grants were made to former Polish soldiers that served in WW1 or the Polish/Soviet War. I was told that my grandfather was a Polish soldier that served in WW1 (or perhaps the Polish/Soviet War) and he later died from his wounds. I'm really trying to find out more info about him and my uncle.

Any suggestions? ( I should add that I don't read or speak Polish) Thanks.

The division of wojewodztwa was much different than it is now - less but larger. The term Kresy was applied to all eastern provinces, but Lwow province for example was streched from the west to the east, hence people born on the western end (closer to Silesia) of it were still considered to be from Kresy as they came from Lwow district. For some general info try Osadnik - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I will try to find more in my books, but most is written in Polish.