Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Learning my Roots!

Article about: Good day Everyone! I have posted this photo also in the thread referring mainly to the Eagle cap brass. I am hoping you can help me decipher where my grandfather served, and what kind of inf

Default Learning my Roots!

Good day Everyone!

I have posted this photo also in the thread referring mainly to the Eagle cap brass.

I am hoping you can help me decipher where my grandfather served, and what kind of information I can get.
    My father passed away a year ago on the 2nd or November. With his passing being so close to Remembrance Day here in Canada, I am hoping to shed some light on the subject of my Gramps. He never spoke of his military career, although I was always pressing for stories, he would say, with his mighty Polish accent "Such stories need not be told" I know very little of his military service, and have just come to learn, he and my grandmother, were taken from Poland to work the camps in Nazi run Germany. I know, heavy stuff.

Here is the only picture I have of him in uniform. Let's crack this case together!

Learning my Roots!

Hello Proulxski,

May I be the first to welcome you to the Forum, the Crowned Eagle Cap Badge was worn by all ranks of the Army and Officers serving in the PAF on their side caps.

Do you have anything else that belonged to your Grandfather that can give us a clue on where he served if only after the end of the war. His Christian Name and Surname might be a start.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Andrzej

Thank you for your response, I had a lot going on when i sent this, so here is what I know of my gandfather.

NAME: Waclaw "Walter" Zalewski
    His father's name: Wojciech Zalewski
    His Mother's name: Fraucirka Nadira

Being in Canada, I cannot find information that pertains to my Grandfather and Great Grandparents.

I hope you can help!

Cheers
    Alison

Hello Alison,

Many thanks for your post, I have searched the index of victims of soviet repression, Soldiers of the 3rd Carpathian Division, Polish Air Force in the UK all with no joy.

The only Wacław Zalewski I found on Ancestry.ca was born 1st Feb 1922, Died 15th March 1991.

Alison, the best thing you can do would be to write to the British Ministry of Defence and ask for copies of all the records they have on your Grandfather. They do unfortunately charge for the service now days, I have placed the link to the British M-o-D web site that explains everything and what photocopies of documents they would require.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-...vice-personnel

I apologise for not being able to help you further in your search Alison, but if you apply for your Grandfathers Service Records, they would be able to shed more light on his service after WW2 and where he was during the war.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Default Missing my roots

Andrzej,

I aplogize for not getting back to you sooner.
    I have sent a message across, a few months back, and i am still waititng, I don't mind waiting though.
    I have waited 39 years to hear stories from my grandparents, and my searching isn't very valuable.

My Uncle has some stories of what my ganparents did during the was, and all i can say is that, my Grandmother said that they worked in one of the Concentration camps, they were both there, and never spoke of their time there, or where. Just that it was something the never wanted to discuss with us as children. My father had all but erased those experiences from his memory. Now he has passed on, and I know nothing.

I do have a few more photos to share if I may?!

Maybe they will shed some insight on where the were in Germany. I also have images of my grandmother's German travel passport. I will post those later. i hope they will help us all, help me learn my roots, the good, the bad and the downright horrific.

Cheers
    Alison

Learning my Roots! Learning my Roots!

MY GRANDFATHER IS IN THE BACK OF EACH IMAGE!