Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Legitymacja Osobista

Article about: Help please with translations from Polish

Quote by jaxmon View Post
    This picture is not too clear, and the badge is out of focus. It reminds me of 3rd Infantry Legion Regiment badge. Medals in his book were given to him by order of 2nd Infantry Legion Division command. 3rd Infantry Legion Regiment was part of 2nd Div.
    Agreed with Simon. It does look like a good bet that this is the badge, and supported by your research regarding the placement of this regiment within the 2nd Infantry Legion Division. The corporal would have had the non-enameled other-ranks version of the badge.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Legitymacja Osobista  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Tony,
    Thank You !!!

Quote by jaxmon View Post
    He was a musician in 35 infantry regiment orchestra.

Pistol, assigned to him, may be a Melior, Belgian make...

Quote by dastier View Post
    I don't read Polish - is that what the text says? I can see 'jednego pisto... ...65' at the end of the sentence. Is that the reference to a Melior?

If indeed a Melior would that be an issue pistol or a private purchase? I am aware that the early Wojsko Polskie possessed a considerable number of different pistols.
    Any one with more info on the possible use of the Melior pistol by the Wojsko Polskie?

?

Any one with more info on the possible use of the Melior pistol by the Wojsko Polskie?
    Weapons are not in my interests. Writing in this book is not easy to decipher. I am guessing it is Melior, but I can be wrong. That sentence says: "he is allowed to own and carry short sidearm - one pistol syst.(em) Melior(?) / Mot. J. 65 Nr 44807.

What does the /Mot. J. 65 represent? I know that the Czechs, Finns, Swedes and Austro Hungarians (and I expect the Germans as well) would stamp unit designations on the pistol - usually on the front grip strap but sometimes on a unit disc in one of the grip panels.

I'm not familiar with exactly how the Wojsko Polskie labeled their pistols but Nr 44807 would most likely be the pistol's serial number. Speculation on my part but the Mot. J. 65 might be a unit designation.

Or is it a Polish military abbreviation for something else?

?

What does the /Mot. J. 65 represent? I know that the Czechs, Finns, Swedes and Austro Hungarians (and I expect the Germans as well) would stamp unit designations on the pistol - usually on the front grip strap but sometimes on a unit disc in one of the grip panels.

I'm not familiar with exactly how the Wojsko Polskie labeled their pistols but Nr 44807 would most likely be the pistol's serial number. Speculation on my part but the Mot. J. 65 might be a unit designation.

That's right. It could mean anything

The referenced sentence stands for: "... broni palnej - jednego pistoletu syst. "..." kal 7,65" - it is clear that caliber of the pistol the soldier was allowed to possess was 7,65 mm. Still not sure what kind of the pistol (one of the letters seems to be German ü?).
    As regards variety of pistols used by the Polish Army – indeed, it was a problem that Command tried to solve (by implementation of wz.1935 Vis pistol) but even in September / October 1939 this equipment was not fully unified and range of different types and calibers was observed in the field (of Spanish, German, Belgian, French, Czech, Hungarian etc. origin).

I suspected that the 'J' might have been a '7' as it makes sense that the caliber was 7.65 mm. It could very well be a Melior as I have found reference to such a pistol being made post WW1.

I'll try to follow up on one of the letters seeming to be a German ü and see if I can find some possibilities. I would very much expect captured or purchased German pistols to be in the Polish inventory.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2