Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Mystery badge - is it related to 1 Pułk Artylerii Przeciwpancernej?

Article about: Gentlemen This is a beautifully made badge but unidentified. I'm assuming that it is Polish or perhaps Russian and pre WW2. Any Ideas? I'm also assuming that what ever it is it is pre WW2 an

Default Mystery badge - is it related to 1 Pułk Artylerii Przeciwpancernej?

Gentlemen

This is a beautifully made badge but unidentified. I'm assuming that it is Polish or perhaps Russian and pre WW2. Any Ideas?

I'm also assuming that what ever it is it is pre WW2 and possibly imperial WW1 or even earlier. The scene is similar to 1 Pułk Artylerii Przeciwpancernej - any relation?

Many thanks for your help

James
    Attached Images Attached Images Mystery badge  - is it related to 1 Pułk Artylerii Przeciwpancernej?  Mystery badge  - is it related to 1 Pułk Artylerii Przeciwpancernej? 

Default Re: Mystery badge - is it related to 1 Pułk Artylerii Przeciwpancernej?

Hi James,

The badge has what appears to be a pre-WW2 Polish silver hallmark. Maker mark ‘JK’ might be for J. Kweksilber (well known and prolific badge and decoration producer Jan Knedler’s mark was “IK”).

It does have the image of St. George slaying the dragon seen on the 1 Pułk Artylerii Przeciwpancernej (1st Anti-tank Artillery Reg’t) of the Polish Armed Forces in the West, but there’s no association.

I don’t know if this piece has any military connection. I do know the town of Dzierżoniów in south west Poland uses this famous image in their coat of arms.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mystery badge  - is it related to 1 Pułk Artylerii Przeciwpancernej?  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Thank you for your comments Tony.

Here is a is a closeup of the maker mark and assay mark. Poland post 1920 but the maker's mark is definitely JK.

Many thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images Mystery badge  - is it related to 1 Pułk Artylerii Przeciwpancernej? 

Thanks James. Definitely looks like a pre-war mark with the woman in head scarf looking left towards the number denoting silver purity (in thsi case "2" = 0.875 silver purity). Sorry I can't offer much more about this piece other than its apparent Polish pre-war origin.

Cheers,
    T.
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

I've now done a bit more digging and come up with this coat of arms to Herb Pogoń Ruska. Perhaps it is something to do with them.

Anyway it is a nice badge

Mystery badge  - is it related to 1 Pułk Artylerii Przeciwpancernej?

?

In my humble opinion this badge might be associated with Polski Zwiazek Jezdziecki (Polish Equestrian Federation). Their pre-WWII badge looked like that:

Hi Jaxman
    I think you are correct. I found a couple of examples like yours on Allegra. None like mine though.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Great learning for me.

All the best

James

Well done jaxmon. You’ve pegged it. No doubt that’s what this badge represents. I’ve seen other similar ‘ryngraf’ type chain suspended shield format badges connected with pre-WW2 Polish equestrian associations, so it all seems to fit.

Regards,
    Tony

?

Glad to be helpful Even contemporary Polish Equestrian Federation badge bears St. George slaying dragon motif