Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Named Krechowiecki Saber

Article about: That is a really nice rig.

?

Default Named Krechowiecki Saber

Hello All,

As some of you may have seen on Allegro recently, there was a named Krechowiecki saber up for auction. It was pulled some five or six days before the end, but I thought I would post photos as a way of archiving this amazing weapon.

Sure wish it ended up in my collection...

Cheers from Warsaw!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Named Krechowiecki Saber   Named Krechowiecki Saber  

Named Krechowiecki Saber   Named Krechowiecki Saber  

?

Thats a beaut. Any background on the person who owned it?

Great item. For those interested - Zygmunt Podhorski (alias “Zaza”) was a commander of the 1st Cavalry Regiment (1 Pułk Ułanów Krechowieckich) as of September 1920 (earlier served within the regiment as a commander of the squadron). He became famous during 1939 Campaign commanding Suwalska Cavalry Brigade (Suwalska Brygada Kawalerii) and later “Zaza” Cavalry Division (Dywizja Kawalerii “Zaza”. He and his unit fought until the end of Campaign and took a part in the last battle near Kock. Until the end of war he was a prisoner of war.
    Lieutenant Aleksander Zamoyski served within the 1st Cavalry Regiment (1 Pułk Ułanów Krechowieckich) in 1918 – 1920 period. For military merits he was decorated with the „Virtuti Militari” Silver Cross.
    Envy!

?

Interesting info, thanks.

Love it!....

Ok, first of all: the name is misspelled : look at the bogus plate.... It should be Podhorski, it says Podchorski. There is a c there that should not be.
    The saber is ok, the rest is bogus.
    Seconf of all in the bogus inscription there is no rank attributed to Colonel Podhorski, it says "Dow " (short for commander) but it should have given his rank, after all they were military, not civilians.
    Bogus, fake.

Might have been another person name Podchorski, which is more common than Podhorski.
    Also use of Dow. was fairly common till 1960s. Soldiers would referrer to their commander as dowodca rather than rank.

Did you read any of the inscription ? and look at what Tomasz70 had said about another "dowodca"

Yes, I did.
    It is possible that he used both spellings of his lastname as it was often done e.g zamoyski and zamojski - both ways are spoken the same way.

I dont think fakers in poland faking polish item would make such mistakes.

Yes. No it is not possible that they used both spelling, period. This was Cavalry, not LWP. This would be a presentation piece from a Colonel to a Lieutenant for his bravery....
    I think the Colonel would know hopefully how to spell his name.
    Dowodca was and is still being used in conversations, not on presentational saber engravings.
    if you think a Pre War Polish Cavalry high ranking officer would give this POS to someone in his gratitude you are sadly mistaken.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast