Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Named Legion grouping.

Article about: The Polish Legions have always been very dear to me. I am fortunate to have a few things from that time. However this one is very special, coming to light in 80 plus years. My brother had fo

Default Named Legion grouping.

The Polish Legions have always been very dear to me. I am fortunate to have a few things from that time.
    However this one is very special, coming to light in 80 plus years. My brother had found this grouping in the original house few months ago and I had persuaded him to let me have it. He found the eagle in a old shoe box in the basement.Named Legion grouping.Named Legion grouping.
    All of the items belonged to a Major Wladyslaw Doskoczynski.
    Here is article written by the famous Polish Priest Ks. Tadeusz Isakowicz-Zaleski and it talks about Major Doskoczynski who he is related to.

Named Legion grouping.Named Legion grouping.

Only picture I have of Wladyslaw Doskoczynski in Legions.
    Still trying to decipher top left, it says "Pod ... ( By ....
    Date is August 1916 and addressed to his future wife.

Named Legion grouping.Named Legion grouping. Wladyslaw Doskoczynski was a painter, and he left his artist's shop in Krakow to go join Legion. Here is a postcard sent to his future wife, look at the postal stamp, it says 4th Regiment Infantry Polish Legions. Than there is a K.u.K Feldpostamt stamp also.
    Dated 12 January 1917.

Named Legion grouping.

There was also a painting of Wladyslaw Doskoczynski done by a friend in 1917 in Lomza. That friend was (then Finance Sgt Franciszek Prohaska). His signature is in the right upper corner.
    In this picture clearly visible 4th Legions early Regimental Badge.

Named Legion grouping.

Franciszek Prohaska during WW2 was a treasurer for Cichociemni. (Silent and Unseen), and became a known artist, had donated most of his painting to museum in Sanok, Poland.

Named Legion grouping.

Another picture of Wladyslaw Doskoczynski, this time during peace time in Gdynia, and one picture of him somewhere in the field.

Close up of the Eagle for reference.

Few more facts to add. In 1917 after the "Oath Crisis " Wladyslaw Doskoczynski was taken to Austrohungarian army and ended up at Isonto. Isonto was a scene of no less than 12 attacks, very bloody, hundreds of thousands soldiers died.
    Ernest Hemingway "Farewell to Arms" is about Isonto.
    After that he got to command V Telegraph Battalion and in 1939 taken prisoner by Germans, Oflag, and after the war he went to England where he died.

Hi Tom,

Congratulations on your new acquisition. And thanks for sharing it with us along with providing the interesting background history. As you know, it is very seldom that any sort of known history accompanies most hat eagles that enter our collections, so this orzełek is indeed special.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Thanks Tony. Indeed this one is very special. Just to think of the journey it has been through from 1915 to 1917.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast