Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need Help! Polish Cavalry Officer?

Article about: Hello I am seeking help in identifying the details of my granduncle’s Polish uniform. We were told he was a captain in the Calvary, from 1934 to 1938. All information stopped after this poin

?

Default Need Help! Polish Cavalry Officer?

Hello

I am seeking help in identifying the details of my granduncle’s Polish uniform. We were told he was a captain in the Calvary, from 1934 to 1938. All information stopped after this point so we assume he was killed in the German invasion of 1939.

Can anyone help with the uniform - is it Calvary or Army?

Need Help! Polish Cavalry Officer? Need Help! Polish Cavalry Officer?

Need Help! Polish Cavalry Officer? Need Help! Polish Cavalry Officer?

Can anyone help with identifying the medals and what they signify?

Can you confirm his rank or any hints to his service?

He was born in 1896 and likely lived in or around L’viv (Lemberg).

Thank you very much for your assistance and any suggestions you might have.

Looks like a Captain of Infantry. I think He is wearing a Badge of the 7th Infantry Regiment stationed in Chelm. The Badge below that one looks like : School of Infantry Officers Cadets. He is wearing following orders :
    Cross of Independence, Cross of Valor. Saber he is carrying is definitely Infantry.

Hello jef869,

May I be the first to welcome you to the forum and thank you for your post, with reference to your Great Uncle, the first 2 photographs show his rank as being Kapitan. There are no Pennons on his collar, so I would say infantry, but I would need to confirm this with the Officers Yearbooks (Rocznik Oficerski). The awards shown are as follows :

From left to right :

1) Krzyż Niepodległości (Independence Cross)

2) Krzyż Walecznych (Cross of Valour)

3) Srebrny Krzyż Zasługi (Silver Cross of Merit)

4) Medal Pamiątkowy za Wojnę 1918–1921 (1918-1921 War Commemorative Medal

5) Medal Dziesięciolecia Odzyskanej Niepodległości (10th Anniversary of Independence Medal)

6) Latvian 10th Anniversary of the War of Liberation Medal with crossed swords.

7) National Sports Badge.

If you wish to send me a private email with his surname I can check where he served for you.

Best wishes and once again welcome to the Forum

Andrzej

Hi and welcome to the forum,

All the pictures confirm that your Granduncle was Captain of the Polish Army (3 stars). I can recognize from the first picture the Badge of the 7th Infantry Regiment (of the Polish Legions) and the Badge of the Infantry Cadet School. In the upper row decorations with ribbons from the left are: the Independence Cross, Cross of Valour, Merit Cross (gold or silver because with enamel), Commemorative Medal for War 1918-1921.

Regards,
    Jacek

?

Hello Everyone

About Kazik foto 1936:

Delegated to the Korpus Ochrony Pogranicza.
    Military cap-,,Angielka"

Officers KOP:

Best wishes

Artur

?

Thank you! I appreciate your insight and information.

?

The last post by Artur, noticed the cap he wore outside walking was the style of the Korpus Oficerow Piechoty (KOP). The photo (left) was indeed from 1936. I have another outdoor photo of him (right) that seems to have the same cap, dated 1934. The second portrait photo I posted with Kazik turned in profile is dated September 1938. Is there any detail on his uniform to confirm his transfer to KOP? Unique insignias for the KOP?

Need Help! Polish Cavalry Officer?Need Help! Polish Cavalry Officer?

Would it resemble this badge, found online?

Last edited by jef869; 01-16-2019 at 09:45 PM.

?

Hello Jef

KOP=Korpus Ochrony Pogranicza=border guards.

The most characteristic element of uniforms of KOP soldiers was a prominent round cap, an English typeface-(angielka) with a navy blue rim, also intended for all infantry units. It should be mentioned that round hats, apart from KOP units, were also worn by the regiments of the chevalżers and the marine branch of the gendarmerie.

P.S.:It is possible to check this with the Officers Yearbooks (Rocznik Oficerski).

Best wishes

Artur