Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Original Pre-war Vis Holster with Vis Pistol

Article about: Here’s a very interesting Vis rig that was up for sale earlier this year. Fascinating provenance. Enjoy . . . Tony

Definitely a modified pre-WW2 Polish pattern Vis holster. The uncertainty lies in the authenticity of the holster. Is it pre-war made, or an aged modern replica modified to deceive? I'd like to see better photo of the interior, but from the pics posted it does stands a good chance of being genuine.

Here are the pics for posterity. Please note for future reference that adding links without pics is not good as links die or pics get removed which leaves a useless post / thread for future reference.

Cheers,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Original Pre-war Vis Holster with Vis Pistol   Original Pre-war Vis Holster with Vis Pistol  

Original Pre-war Vis Holster with Vis Pistol   Original Pre-war Vis Holster with Vis Pistol  

Original Pre-war Vis Holster with Vis Pistol   Original Pre-war Vis Holster with Vis Pistol  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Thanks, I have the same feeling about the holster. For now I have no other pics but the ones above.
    I have asked about the origin and it is a UK shed find. Does anyone know the origin of the brass hangers? I have tried comparing with British gas mask pouch hangers but do not match. I wonder if this was a modification done to easily attach the holster to British webbing? Does that make sense?
    Greetings

[QUOTE=Hubal;1192183. . . I wonder if this was a modification done to easily attach the holster to British webbing? Does that make sense? [/QUOTE]
    Hi Hubal,

Makes perfect sense. Here's a 37 pattern webbing holster and belt. The C-hooks are designed to clip into small "pockets" in the belt, but the brass hangers on the Vis holster would still function with the webbing belt.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Tony, do you know any case od use Vis together with its holster in the PSZ (Polish Armed Forces beside Commonwealth structures)?

Hi Tomasz,

The only photo that I know of showing a Vis in the possession of a PSZ soldier is the one attached below. The holster is not pre-war Polish.

Regards,
    Tony

?

Tony thanks for your visual demonstration. A fellow collector confirmed the use of brass hangers with the Mk IV gas mask. I think there is a good chance this holster was modified in the West. According to the description above the photo posted by Tony it says that Vis was a favoured weapon used by PSNZ. Unfortunately, the holster can't speak to tell us its real story. Maybe it was used by Gen. Anders I 'm still waiting for better pics.

?

The holster is authentic and the modification appears to be wartime. I think that a restoration of this holster to its pre war look would be possible if the original hangers are found. Is it worth it, considering the holster very likely saw action in the West? What is your opinion?
    I have included additional pics of the holster.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Original Pre-war Vis Holster with Vis Pistol   Original Pre-war Vis Holster with Vis Pistol  

Hi Hubal,

Because the modifications were done in a manner that would leave permanent traces after their removal (stitch perforations) in my opinion it is best to leave the holster as is. This also spares you the effort and expense of finding a donor holster for the required parts that match. A tall order. Leave well enough alone and be content that you have a genuine pre-WW2 Polish Vis holster with what very well may be wartime mods. Even with the mods it remains a rare piece. And instead put your energy and finances into finding a Vis pistol for it.

Cheers,
    Tony

?

Just a brief update. The holster fits perfectly on the webbing belt.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6