Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Pistols, Rifles, Machine Guns and Crew Served Weapons of Partitioned Poland and the Polish 2nd Republic

Article about: by stoggie I don't know what the K represents, but I do recall one for sale that also had that marking, and it was said to be from the Krakow armoury. For all I know it could be a inspector

?

Default Re: Pistols, Rifles, Machine Guns and Crew Served Weapons of Partitioned Poland and the Polish 2nd Republic

My favourite handgun of WWII and one of the best engineered to emerge from that conflict IMO.

Nice simplified Browning design - cant go wrong with that.

Default Replica Vis 35 Shoulder Stock

This is a replica of the shoulder stock that was manufactured for the Vis 35. Its not known if any authentic shoulder stocks survived the 1939 Defensive War, I have read that most if not all were burned to prevent them from being captured by the Germans.

A limited number of exact replicas were manufactured from the the original blueprints which were found after the defeat of Germany. These replica shoulder stocks are rare and expensive.

Pistols, Rifles, Machine Guns and Crew Served Weapons of Partitioned Poland and the Polish 2nd RepublicPistols, Rifles, Machine Guns and Crew Served Weapons of Partitioned Poland and the Polish 2nd RepublicPistols, Rifles, Machine Guns and Crew Served Weapons of Partitioned Poland and the Polish 2nd Republic

Here are two more photographs of the replica Vis 35 shoulder stock. I believe 200 were manufactured in the 1990s or early 2000s.

Pistols, Rifles, Machine Guns and Crew Served Weapons of Partitioned Poland and the Polish 2nd RepublicPistols, Rifles, Machine Guns and Crew Served Weapons of Partitioned Poland and the Polish 2nd Republic

Photographs courtesy War Relics member Stoggie.
    Last edited by dastier; 10-31-2012 at 07:30 PM.

Default Hoffmeyer Vis 35 Shoulder Stock

There also exists another copy of the Vis 35 shoulder stock known as the Hoffmeyer. As far as I know its not based upon the original blueprints. There are obvious visual differences between this stock and the previously shown replica Vis 35 shoulder stock.

Pistols, Rifles, Machine Guns and Crew Served Weapons of Partitioned Poland and the Polish 2nd Republic

?

Default Re: Pistols, Rifles, Machine Guns and Crew Served Weapons of Partitioned Poland and the Polish 2nd Republic

Stocks similar to the first one was used for for example the C96 and the GP35, but then I guess that its enivitable, that the stocks would follow the same general design concept.

The latter shoulder stock looks like the design was copied from a type used for the P08.

(One of the types of stock for the P08 - there were several).

Quote by ChrisW01 View Post
    As a side to this topic what would have been a common rifle used by support units such as - telegraph battalions -that supported communications for Polish army groups like Karpaty & Lodz?

Chris.....
    In reading "The Polish Campaign 1939" by Zaloga & Madej it is noted on pg.78 that rear service elements used French and Russian rifles. Can someone post examples of these French and Russian weapons available to Polish rear service elements?

Chris.......

Default Re: Rifles used by Telegraph and Communications Units in the prewar Wojsko Polskie

Quote by ChrisW01 View Post
    In reading "The Polish Campaign 1939" by Zaloga & Madej it is noted on pg.78 that rear service elements used French and Russian rifles. Can someone post examples of these French and Russian weapons available to Polish rear service elements?

Chris.......
    Chris, the Russian rifles in question would have been the previously discussed wz.91/98/25 and less common variants wz.91/98/23 and /26:

BTW the carbine labelled wz.91 - I have never seen another photo nor read anything about such. Imho its possibly Finnish not Polish.

Here is a photo of 7th Artillery soldiers armed with the wz.91/98/xx:

As to the French rifles used... most likely they would have been Berthiers or Lebels.

Chris - how about doing research on the use of French rifles and machine guns by the Wojsko Polskie and posting your findings in the 'sticky'?
    Last edited by dastier; 11-01-2012 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Corrected grammar and punctuation.

Hi Chris, here is a photo of prewar Polish soldiers posing around a French Hotchkiss Model 14 machine gun. This is the only photo I have of Poles using French weapons.

As suggested a bit of research resulted in some interesting finds.

No.6 Telegraph Battalion marching with French Karabin 8mm wz. 1886/93 "Lebel" rifles.

Army communication platoon armed with French Karabinek 8mm wz. 1916 "Berthier" rifles.

Any guess as to rifle types carried by the signals troops in these two images?
    Chris.....

?

Quote by dastier View Post
    Hi Chris, here is a photo of prewar Polish soldiers posing around a French Hotchkiss Model 14 machine gun. This is the only photo I have of Poles using French weapons.

Great pic.

Whats up with those lids?

Polish soldiers used German M16 and M17 helmets at various times. Keep in mind the Wojsko Polskie inherited a lot of various equipment from the partitioning powers. Besides the French Hotchkiss you can see a German MG 08 and the soldiers have German Stielhandgranates.

The 10th Cavalry Brigade (10. Brygada Kawalerii) was famous for using them as late as May, 1939 and I believe even as late as the 1939 Defensive War.

Pistols, Rifles, Machine Guns and Crew Served Weapons of Partitioned Poland and the Polish 2nd RepublicPistols, Rifles, Machine Guns and Crew Served Weapons of Partitioned Poland and the Polish 2nd Republic

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast