Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Plakat/ Poster

Article about: Can anyone help me date these two posters? I believe them to be early 1940 maybe 1939? They are 9 1/2"x13 1/2" or 243mm x 345mm printed on what appears to be news print type pare..

?

Default Plakat/ Poster

Can anyone help me date these two posters? I believe them to be early 1940 maybe 1939? They are 9 1/2"x13 1/2" or 243mm x 345mm printed on what appears to be news print type pare..fragile.
    The artists name are
    Stanislaw Miedza-Tomaszewski on the bayonet poster and the two names on the Do Broni poster are Mieczyslaw Jurgiejewicz , Edmund Burke

thanks,
    Piwo
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Plakat/ Poster   Plakat/ Poster  

Hi Piwo,

In fact I am not an expert in this field but I can help you, I hope so

Both posters are associated with the Warsaw Uprising - so the proper date is 1944. Poster by Stanislaw Miedza-Tomaszewski is one of the most famous and presented in The Warsaw Rising Museum. Stanislaw Miedza-Tomaszewski, who was the godfather of the President Lech Kaczynski, prepared the highest number of the national posters during the Warsaw Uprising.

The second poster made by Mieczyslaw Jurgiejewicz and Edmund Burke in 1944 is also associated with the Warsaw Uprising and it was the modification of the famous poster "Do broni" from 1939 by Adam Siemaszka, which was displayed on Warsaw walls in August 1939.

Kind regards,
    Jacek

Hi Piwo once again,

Some supplementary details regarding poster "Do Broni" by Mieczyslaw Jurgiejewicz and Edmund Burke. It was prepared in mid-July 1944 at the request of the IV Wydział Prasowo-Wydawniczy Biura Informacji i Propagandy KG AKand printed by Tajne Wojskowe Zakłady Wydawnicze (Secret Military Publishing Company) at Chmielna Street in Warsaw. In original it was coloured poster with size: 100 x 70 cm. Your poster with reduced size was published later after WWII as an extra-print / extra-edition.

Cheers,
    Jacek

?

Jacek,
    Thank you for such complete information. So you believe that one or both posters and post war production?

Piwp

Yes Piwo, I think that both posters presented by you are post-war production. I am sure that poster "Do Broni" by Mieczyslaw Jurgiejewicz and Edmund Burke in original was much bigger (size: 100 x 70 cm) and intuitively I belive that second one by Stanislaw Miedza-Tomaszewski also should be bigger as it was designed as a poster for city walls, so it could not be too small.

Regards,
    Jacek