Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polish army dagger,engraved

Article about: what is the inscription on this dagger?what would the value on this be??.....thanks,,Robert

Default Polish army dagger,engraved

what is the inscription on this dagger?what would the value on this be??.....thanks,,Robert
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish army dagger,engraved   Polish army dagger,engraved  

Polish army dagger,engraved   Polish army dagger,engraved  

3mk
    ?

Default Re: Polish army dagger,engraved

Hey there,
    Sorry to inform you but this is a fake Officers Dagger.Real ones would have white/orange ivory grips and not yellow.The most I think you can sell it at as a repro is $75-100,

Hi Robert,

It’s difficult to come to any conclusions as to authenticity based on these photos. Is there a maker’s mark on the ricasso side of the blade (with the dedication)? If so, are you able to post a close up picture of this mark and also of the etching?

From what I can decipher the engraving states that the dagger was presented to an armoured corps officer cadet in 1938.

Regards,
    Tony

hi tony,,,there is no makers mark only the engraving of "honor & Fatherland",in Polish of course,,,i will post pics of the dagger,,,thanks,,RObert,,,any idea of what it is worth?...Polish items are not my area of collecting,,,
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish army dagger,engraved   Polish army dagger,engraved  

This dagger has positive and negative characteristics. At present the negative outweigh the positive I am sorry to say. I am not keen on the dedication as it does not mention the recipient by name, and has a grammatical error if I am not mistaken, although it’s difficult to read it from the pictures. As far as the absence of a maker’s mark, this is not necessarily a red flag as there were several pre-war dagger producers that did not mark their products. Some remain unknown to this day (I own one such dagger). The etching pattern is not a standard Borowski type (he was the most prolific dagger maker, and his products are typically marked) so the lack of a mark is a possible sign of another maker. But again, I would need a good close up look at all of the details before make a judgment call.

As far as value, if this is a genuine dagger then without the dedication it would be in the $1400 - $1800 range. A dedication would a good 50+% to that value.

Regards,
    Tony

hi AJ,,,here are some more pics of the engraving,,i hope these will be better than the ones i posted before,,comments welcomed,,,Thanks,,,Robert

Attached Images Attached Images Polish army dagger,engraved 

Thank you for the additional pictures, although they don’t show all of the blade etching. The part that is visible is rather crude, and what I would consider sub-standard to what is typical of genuine period daggers. So far it’s not looking too good. But keeping optimistic I’ll say the jury is still out until I see close up pictures of the rest of the dagger and scabbard. Any chance at these?

Regards,
    Tony

Hi Tony,,,here are some more pics,,some close shots of the fittings and engraving,,,Robert

couple more pics...

Hi Robert, sorry I wasn't clear enough with my request. I need to see the entire etching side showing the floral sprays. There are plenty of pics of the engraved dedication, but not of the "Honor i Ojczyzna" side of the blade. Sory to be a nuisance, but these pics are crucial in arriving at a more definite opinion about this piece.

Regards,
    Tony

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast