Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Polish badge 303

Article about: Hi, I agree with StefanM that presented by Janek badge is not original. I can help you only with attached below picture of the Eskadra Kościuszkowska badge: Regards, Jacek

Gj
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish badge 303   Polish badge 303  

Found a Burdynski in Wa-wa. Grawer-jubiler, went to school for it from 1994-1998.
    Wa-wa is post war from what i know, W-wa was what I had always seen.

Ok guys, lets just talk only about the badge, without the spinner, there is no spinner !!Its original or not any proof?

Quote by Janek79 View Post
    Ok guys, lets just talk only about the badge, without the spinner, there is no spinner !!Its original or not any proof?
    Hi Janek, I think definitely NOT and possibly made by someone like Andrzej Panasiuk in the 1970-80s...with the "303" added much later by someone else.

But I could only find (below) what is described as: Odznaka 7 Eskadra Myśliwska wersja II on the Panasiuk site unfortunately there is no photo of "wersja I" although it is listed.

Polish badge 303

I did find online another photo of a badge that shares some similarity with yours minus the "303" .

Polish badge 303
    Last edited by StefanM; 01-20-2014 at 02:55 PM.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Janek, hi.

I can confirm that your badge is 100% NOT original.

Will post more later.
    Last edited by StefanM; 01-20-2014 at 02:56 PM.

Please see the attached images for reference. They are taken of M. C. Cooper's personal Kościuszko badge "No.2".

Polish badge 303

Compare the edge detail. The original does not have the raised edge-line on the vertical cut-outs that you badge has as well as other features not seen on Cooper's original. The raised edges or key lines are much more indicative of the Andrzej Panasiuk produced badge posted previously.

The weave of the red backing material is also different to the original which has a pronounced vertical weave pattern.

Polish badge 303

You will notice straight away the pin back arrangement and the engraved backing plate including the award number....and no screw thread fixing for such a spinner as your badge has.

Polish badge 303

Compare the edge detail with your badge. They are of different manufacturing method. The backing plate is also completely different on the original.

I am not going to post images of the entire badge so as not to give away all of the details to would be copyists who might not have access to the original, if the images are already available in history books then they can be found there!

I had not seen this original badge before so it is a real visual treat for me also

On the plus side, the detail sculpting work on your badge is IMO of much higher quality than the original.
    Last edited by StefanM; 01-20-2014 at 05:02 PM.

Thank you Stefan, Great job!
    Best
    Regards
    Janek

Quote by Janek79 View Post
    Thank you Stefan, Great job!
    Best
    Regards
    Janek
    My pleasure Janek. Luckily an historian and author friend was able to send me his photos of Merian Cooper's original badge as a reference. As I mentioned it was the first time I had seen it so a real treat for me also to help research your badge.

I was told that the Merian Cooper badge was donated by Witold Urbanowicz of 303 Squadron to the commander of the 1st Fighter Regiment when this unit officially took on the 'Kosciuszko Squadron' traditions in 1990's. It is now in safe storage at the HQ of the 23rd Tactical Air Base at Minsk Mazowiecki.

Although your badge is not an original I would like to think it was not put together to deceive but more a personal commemoration by persons unknown of the two Polish airforce squadrons. I doubt there is another.
    Last edited by StefanM; 01-21-2014 at 01:25 PM.

got Britain at war today,a article.death of a general.by John Goss he was given a polish pilots badge and the same badge as this one by a pilot involved in the action.

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    got Britain at war today,a article.death of a general.by John Goss he was given a polish pilots badge and the same badge as this one by a pilot involved in the action.
    Any chance of posting an image of the badge featured in the magazine article?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast