Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Polish belt buckle?

Article about: I was going through my late grandfathers possessions and I found a belt buckle that appears to be Polish from the emblem. It was with his possessions from WWII (He was an American GI). I was

Robertz1986
    ?

Default Polish belt buckle?

I was going through my late grandfathers possessions and I found a belt buckle that appears to be Polish from the emblem. It was with his possessions from WWII (He was an American GI). I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this or if its anything at all. Thanks for the help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish belt buckle?  

Default Re: Polish belt buckle?

Hi Robert and welcome to the forum,

The eagle is definitely Polish, and the buckle is definitely not military. The eagle appears applied onto the buckle almost as an afterthought as the scrolling design is visible below it. In this picture the buckle has no real visible signs of age. Are there any maker marks on the reverse?

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

The backing plate looks rather "Art Noveau" in it's style ...
    .. I don't think the eagle and backing plate were originally together ..

Gary J.

Robertz1986
    ?

Thanks for the help. There doesn't appear to be any markings. My grandpa would never have been anywhere near Poland, I just thought it was odd that he would have something like that given that our family has no Polish connections, but I'm from Cleveland and this city does have a large Polish population so it is entirely possible he just found it at a store at some point and thought it looked interesting and threw it in with the rest. I know this is older than the 1990s, but not necessarily by much, which had me wondering on account of the crown on the eagle which was removed (to my understanding) by the communists until 1990, but if it is made in the US it is entirely possible that they simply disregarded changes in the emblem by the communists in Poland.