Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Polish Cross of Valour

Article about: Hi , I will appreciate your opinion on this cross especially the award bar Thank you

Default Polish Cross of Valour

Hi , I will appreciate your opinion on this cross especially the award bar
    Thank you
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Cross of Valour   Polish Cross of Valour  

Polish Cross of Valour   Polish Cross of Valour  

Hi Janek, the cross is a genuine Knedler government issue 1st pattern. The award bar is also a recognized Knedler type. From the small glimpse of ribbon it looks to be post war PRL era. It's not at all uncommon to find this combination. Great looking cross

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Thank You Tony

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    Hi Janek, the cross is a genuine Knedler government issue 1st pattern. The award bar is also a recognized Knedler type. From the small glimpse of ribbon it looks to be post war PRL era. It's not at all uncommon to find this combination. Great looking cross

Regards,
    Tony
    The number is engraved on this piece. Does that mean it's not original?

Polish Cross of Valour

It means only that it’s not a pre-WW2 government issue cross. Please post photos of the entire cross if you want to know more about the cross’s maker and production era.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

It means only that it’s not a pre-WW2 government issue cross. Please post photos of the entire cross if you want to know more about the cross’s maker and production era.

Regards,
    Tony
    Back and front.

Polish Cross of Valour

Polish Cross of Valour

Hi Chris, this cross was made by Arthus Bertrand of Paris. Nice cross.

Regards,
    Tony

Hi Chris, this cross was made by Arthus Bertrand of Paris. Nice cross.

Regards,
    Tony
    Does that mean it's just a copy? Is there a way to trace the serial number?

It is what's called a "replacement copy". Polish word "wtórnik". Purchased by soldiers as an extra for wear on their uniform. This is not to be confused as being a fake / reproduction. This is a legitimate cross. In pre-war Poland the imported French made decorations were typically considered to be "deluxe".

Unfortunately there's no way to trace the serial number. The terrible devastation suffered by Poland during the war resulted in the records likely being lost. Although it has been rumoured that the Soviets, who occupied Poland for 5 decades after war, took them and they still exist somewhere.

Regards,
    Tony