Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Polish Legion(?) Ring or Fake?

Article about: Hi Folks - Just picked this up. Not a steal, but not overly expensive IMHO. Of course I will readily admit to haveing no knowledge of going prices for real or fake, but I liked it. Pics show

Default Polish Legion(?) Ring or Fake?

Hi Folks -

Just picked this up. Not a steal, but not overly expensive IMHO. Of course I will readily admit to haveing no knowledge of going prices for real or fake, but I liked it. Pics show pretty much all. Looks like the "Date" tags and the "Eagle" may be separate applications, or very well carved or molded. Extra small, it fits the wife's little finger and appears to have been resized at the back to size it down.

Well, any thoughts either way appreciated! Not sure I'll get it back from the finger of the model though!!

Also, 1914-15, so (either way) these would represent the French or the Austro-Hungarian Legion?

Best regards!
    - Mike

Default Re: Polish Legion(?) Ring or Fake?

any markings ?
    i don't think it is real - possibly custom made piece of jewellery

No marking of any kind. May have been something before it was resized? Does show plenty of wear.

Just a piece of jewerly not a rare military issue ring but still pretty cool !!

Numerous design variations of these types "patriotic" rings, ryngrafs, and Holy Crosses have been produced by an equally numerous number of makers throughout Polish history. So not unusual to find such a ring at all...as to who made it and exactly when unfortunately its not an area I collect so cannot help, but I wouldn't write it off just yet
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

3mk
    ?

I also agree that it is a patriotic ring, do you know what metal its made out of? Most reproductions of period rings are usually made in pewter.

Quote by 3mk View Post
    I also agree that it is a patriotic ring, do you know what metal its made out of? Most reproductions of period rings are usually made in pewter.

Thanks all! 99.9% positive it is sterling silver. Lightly touched the inside with some silver polish and it took the black off and left a brilliant silver shine. Don't believe pewter will do this.

Going to show my ignorance of all these, but by Patriotic Ring you mean a homefront piece that was made in support of the (Austro-Hungarian?) Polish troops. My apologies, but I have no context for these.

Best regards!
    - Mike

Quote by MikeS0000 View Post
    Thanks all! 99.9% positive it is sterling silver. Lightly touched the inside with some silver polish and it took the black off and left a brilliant silver shine. Don't believe pewter will do this.

Going to show my ignorance of all these, but by Patriotic Ring you mean a homefront piece that was made in support of the (Austro-Hungarian?) Polish troops. My apologies, but I have no context for these.

Best regards!
    - Mike
    Mike, hi, "patriotic" rings and similar pieces were primarily made to show symbolic support for "the cause" on the home-front or to commemorate a particular national event or by veterans associations in memory of military campaigns etc.

Definitely worthy of further research....could be commemorating the Siege of Przemyśl 1914-15
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

I cannot add any "expert" opinion on this, but if it is any use, I like the look of it.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!