Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Polish made mauser bayonets

Article about: This weekend I was exchanging mails with Tony and we spoke about Polish bayonets. It seems that there is no thread devoted to this topic. Well, I decided to write about this topic providing

?

The scabbard is an early German 98k, which isn't unusual in my experience. I feel it is more unusual to find them with the proper Polish scabbard. As far as the missing inspection marks, it has been my experience that this is not that uncommon on the WZ39. Although I have no knowledge as to why this happened with this particular model.

Jim

Here are two earlier models that I have
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/bayon...z-28-a-415770/

Hi Jim,

Thanks for confirming that the scabbard is German. And those two Polish bayonets you have are fine examples. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Ok, so I have a Polish bayonet in a German scabbard that somehow wound up in Norway...
    Can the serial number tell me anything?

?

Greeting all!!! This is my 1st post here so I though I'd show my toys and ask a question at the same time.
    General notes:
    There are NO Waffenamts on any of these.
    4-bayos center to far right all have German WW2 sheaths.
    3-bayos on left side are all Polish marked Green sheaths.
    Group shot,

Far right is a Wz-22 Early model

Nothing remarkable about any of the next 3ea right to left. They are all Wz-24s and one of them is completely Chromed. Purchased at a garage sale to keep it from being used a stump chucker.

Now for the 3-Green sheaths,

R to L Wz-28 Modified, w/ground Muzzle Ring, w/Flash Guard, Blued.
    Center Wz-28 (Wz-30 in some circles) w/Muzzle Ring, NO Flash Guard in the white.
    Left is a Wz-30 Mobilization w/Muzzle Ring, Blackened finish on all surfaces.

Wz-30

HERE IS MY QUESTION. Has anyone ever seen this symbol and for lack of knowledge of what it is I call it the Light Bulb/Sunburst. It is on the Hilt spine in front of the mortise slot.

Thank you,
    Russ

Hello Russ and welcome to the forum. You certainly made a grand entrance! Thanks for sharing your impressive collection.

Re. your question about the "Light Bulb/Sunburst", I'm now down to two pre-war Radom made bayo's in my collection - a 1939 and a standard wz.28, both having this acceptance mark.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Tony,

Thanks for the response. I have never seen anything mentioned in any literature but maybe I looked over it as I don't read/write Polish. Understand some Czech and I have 16ea of the Czech bayo's from 1923-1946. So it must be one of there acceptance marks if your have it as well, cool!!!

?

Quote by RussMo View Post
    HERE IS MY QUESTION. Has anyone ever seen this symbol and for lack of knowledge of what it is I call it the Light Bulb/Sunburst. It is on the Hilt spine in front of the mortise slot.
    Hi Russ,

Wz. 28 bayos come from Fabryka Broni w Radomiu, and Towarzystwo Fabryki Motorów "Perkun" w Warszawie. At first glance they look and feel almost the same, but bayos from Radom are of better quality and have more markings and proofs including the symbol you ask about. Bayos manufactured in Radom in 1939 are additionaly marked 1939 and they're mobilization ones. Hope this information is of some help.

Best,
    Kosa

?

Default On wz.24 bayos.

Wz.24 bayos were designed for Mauser wz.98 and Mosin wz.91/98. Most of the wz.24 bayos have model markings WZ.24 or WZ-24 or seldom bg.wz.24 under lock release levers but some don’t and they may be confused with wz.27 bayos. By the way, KOP used wz.24 bayos.

Zbr-4 on wz.22 bayos stands for Zbrojownia nr 4 in Kraków (Cracow Armoury). Other markings for Zbrojownia nr 4 are: Zbr. Nr. 4, Zbr. 4 nad KRAKÓW and very seldom Zb. Kr.

Best,
    Kosa

?

Quote by kosa View Post
    Hi Russ,

Wz. 28 bayos come from Fabryka Broni w Radomiu, and Towarzystwo Fabryki Motorów "Perkun" w Warszawie. At first glance they look and feel almost the same, but bayos from Radom are of better quality and have more markings and proofs including the symbol you ask about. Bayos manufactured in Radom in 1939 are additionaly marked 1939 and they're mobilization ones. Hope this information is of some help.

Best,
    Kosa
    Kosa,
    Thanks for the response Brother!!! Do you know what that Sunburst is actually called? I figured it was a type of acceptance stamp but not sure if it had a specific name.

Txk,
    Russ

?

Quote by RussMo View Post
    Kosa,
    Thanks for the response Brother!!! Do you know what that Sunburst is actually called? I figured it was a type of acceptance stamp but not sure if it had a specific name.

Txk,
    Russ
    My pleasyre Russ. The point is that in the Polish language markings, proofs and stamps don't really have specific names. They're rather descriptive like for example "Stempel odbioru. Litera p w owalu", which translates into English like "Acceptance stamp. Letter p in oval". That Sunburst is just acceptance stamp. I have lit on Polish bayos but don't remember to have seen any definition for the Sunburst stamp.

Best,
    Kosa

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast