Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Is this a Polish medal?

Article about: I think this medal is Polish, but not 100% certain. Is it? WHAT is it? Is it rare, or common? Thanks!

Wuerstenfuchs
    ?

Default Is this a Polish medal?

I think this medal is Polish, but not 100% certain. Is it? WHAT is it? Is it rare, or common? Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this a Polish medal?   Is this a Polish medal?  

Wuerstenfuchs
    ?

Default Re: Is this a Polish medal?

OK - I searched on line, and found out it is a 1939 Polish Cross of Valor. I could not find any 1939's for sale except a 1970 repro. The ribbon on them was different from mine, so I mam hoping mine is original. My ribbon looks like it was cut with pinking shears. The repros were straight-cut. So is my medal rare?

Yes ! Polish cross of valor !

?

The cross you have has the communist type ribbon, and so was not issued to Polish exile forces under the British sphere of influence.

Unusual to see 1939 on the cross, ... which to tell you the truth I believe to be unofficial.

The "Normal" types seen are either marked 1920 (2nd republic type) or 1944 (Communist era type.)

Wuerstenfuchs
    ?

Quote by Polski44 View Post
    The cross you have has the communist type ribbon, and so was not issued to Polish exile forces under the British sphere of influence.

Unusual to see 1939 on the cross, ... which to tell you the truth I believe to be unofficial.

The "Normal" types seen are either marked 1920 (2nd republic type) or 1944 (Communist era type.)
    That is why I think my cross is not only unusual, even rare ! I could not find another 1939 except a re-pro, and i'm quite sure my cross is NOT a repro. It is too crisp and well struck.

?

Check this out .. it might help ..

Cross of Valour

Cheers

Gary J.

Wuerstenfuchs
    ?

Quote by Polski44 View Post
    Check this out .. it might help ..

Cross of Valour

Cheers

Gary J.
    I did check it out, thanks. Now I am even more convinced my Cross is real, and very rare. There is a guy on ebay who sells Polish medals exclusively. He told me the medal is worth $250.00. Thanks for all the help!

Wyniki Szukania w Grafice Google dla http://www.wajszczuk.v.pl/z/M091julian/M091julian_medale_dziadka_b.jpg
    (Cross Campaign September 1939 - established 1 September 1984 by the President of the Republic in exile, to commemorate the fight against Nazi Germany and Soviet Russia in September and October 1939, the obverse - Eagle sitting in the crown on the face of the Wieńcu laurowym semicircular inscription from September and year 1939 below. On the left arm - the date 1.IX (German aggression), on the right - 17.IX (Soviet aggression) and letters of RP on the lower arm. Reverse - blank, the place decorated in the name of the person)
    Dan

pjm
    ?

Here's a site with some info Cross of Valour

The ebay vendor you mentioned has quite a collection. The prices, however, are exorbitant.