Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Polish Military Service Requirements and Laws 1930s

Article about: I have a question about Polish Military Service requirements/laws during the 1930s when my grandfather was serving. Poland recently suspended compulsory military service for citizens in 2009

?

Default Polish Military Service Requirements and Laws 1930s

I have a question about Polish Military Service requirements/laws during the 1930s when my grandfather was serving.

Poland recently suspended compulsory military service for citizens in 2009, does anyone know what the laws said in the 1930s?

I have verified my grandfather serving at least from 1935-1936 at which time he would have been 22-24. Was he required to serve at this certain age or for a certain length of time? Was there a draft or anything like that during that period?

Thanks in advance for any response. -CJH

Hello CJH,

During the Second Polish Republic each male citizen was obligated for military service starting at 21 years of age. There were certain exemptions that would free one from service, such as health, criminal conviction, sole breadwinner for the family, students / apprentices, etc.

In 1938 the various branches of the military had the following service duration:
    Infantry / Artillery / Mechanized, and other formations: 24 months
    Cavalry and Horse Artillery: 25 months
    Navy: 27 months

Hope that helps. Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    Hello CJH,

During the Second Polish Republic each male citizen was obligated for military service starting at 21 years of age. There were certain exemptions that would free one from service, such as health, criminal conviction, sole breadwinner for the family, students / apprentices, etc.

In 1938 the various branches of the military had the following service duration:
    Infantry / Artillery / Mechanized, and other formations: 24 months
    Cavalry and Horse Artillery: 25 months
    Navy: 27 months

Hope that helps. Regards,
    Tony
    Yes, that is very helpful. Thank you for the reply! One further question, would a person have to be a Polish citizen to have enlisted? Or did they allow foreigners to serve in the military? -CJH

You're most welcome. Military service obligations applied only to Polish citizens. Foreigners could volunteer, or in the case of officers be hired.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne