Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

The Polish Rogatywka 1919-39

Article about: Dear Collectors, I would like to propose a new thread which looks at the emergence of the Polish Rogatywka from its origins in the Cavalry hats of the Napoleonic wars to its current form in

Cool The Polish Rogatywka 1919-39

Dear Collectors,

I would like to propose a new thread which looks at the emergence of the Polish Rogatywka from its origins in the Cavalry hats of the Napoleonic wars to its current form in the four pointed Rogatywka hat.

My particular interest stems from the fact that I have purchased a few over the years and most recently an example from the polish-soviet war.

My hope is that members will be able to add to this post enabling us to chart the development of this hat as well as adding to our knowledge base of its production. I am particularly interested in Rogatywki made in the 1939 - 45/8 period for the Free Polish Army overseas in the West. The hats from this era will be discussed in the parallel thread in the ‘exile period’ forum.

Many Thanks Rob (Doggydangler)
    Last edited by A.J. Zawadzki; 05-19-2017 at 06:42 PM.

Default Patey Hats

Last summer I bought a rather dilapidated Rogatywka a Captains cap to the engineers with a black velvet band on ebay. This cap with the Locke and Co. label had seen better days. I decided to get it restored and and having heard from another forum member that Locke had restored his hat I gave them a call. My journey of discovery had begun.

I had always presumed that the Holy Grail of Polish Rogatywki during the second world war were the hat company Locke and Co. still based in London, in James Street. I called them and much to my surprise I was informed that they did not restore military hats nor had they done so for many years. Nor did they have any access to any parts that may have been used in th construction, hmmm rather odd.

I was kindly given the number of the Imperial War Museums restoration department in London who recommended I call a company called Pateys and a chap called Ian who had carried out resoptorations for many museums and private owners and the military.

After many missed appointments and phone calls I finally made my way down to South London to meet Ian, a charming man who is a mine of relevant and useful knowledge.

As I stepped into Pateys I was greeted most cordially and I began my discussion about the renovation. [ATTACH=CONFIG]1077367
    I had actually taken three of my hats to Ian, all Locke Rogs., my 1st Div Panc. aptains Rog, the inner leather lining band had come out, my Leut colonels Medical Officers Rog and the dilapidated engineers. [/ATTACHAttachment 1077368

My first surprise was to discover that Locke had not made the caps.......surprise No1. Locke had not made any hats whether military or civilian for over a hundred years.

The possible makers of these hats at this particular time could have been one of the following, Lyle and Kenning, Samuel Brothers or Toy Kenning Spence all three had been in production at this relevant time.

Surprise No2 was that the work had echoes of West African tailoring, they could have been made in any of the British West African Colonies....deep breath sigh of incredulity.

Surprise No3 was when Ian produced a box of Locke and CO labels identical to the ones in my caps which proved his point rather successfully. In fact the box was taped up with genuine Locke and Co cellotape ! Attachment 1077372

Ian said that the Rogatywki would most likely have varied in quality from a dress Rog No1 to general service wear No2/3. As he began to dismantle my caps with the precision of a surgeon I felt like I was under the surgeons knife myself. Ian informed me that the glues and techniques that Patey hats used were identical and very similar to the ones originally in period use and in no way were detrimental to the refurbishment as he called it of the cap not hat he was very clear on that issue. Moreover this in no way prejudiced future preservations if needed music to my ears. Attachment 1077375Attachment 1077376Attachment 1077378

We discussed the original beading stars and eagles that]may have had at least 2% silver and I can imagine would have looked quite spectacular. He proceeded to clean some of it up with all things lighter fuid lol.

The discoloured inner lining I was informed was wax paper now hardened and discoursed by hair pomade and general sweat. I had initially presumed this was some sort of early plastic but it was designed to keep the hat clear of the officers hair dressings. Unfortunaely this paper is now not available but exists in two of my hats.

My caps ought to be ready in 8 weeks time at which time ill post up the finished results.

I have attached some pictures of the caps and the workshop with a huge thanks to Ian for his hospitality and time.

Attachment 1077387Attachment 1077386Attachment 1077385Attachment 1077384Attachment 1077382Attachment 1077381Attachment 1077388