Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polish Second Republic Wall Eagles

Article about: I will start with this one. When I received it, it was in two pieces, like literally someone ripped it off the wall and threw it down. The newspaper backing dates to September 26, 1933. This

Default Polish Second Republic Wall Eagles

I will start with this one. When I received it, it was in two pieces, like literally someone ripped it off the wall and threw it down. The newspaper backing dates to September 26, 1933. This one most likely hang in some State building. The chain is not original, originally it would mount on two hooks. Also the 6 round nails are not original, it is what is holding it together. The Eagle is fastened, just like I got it with two screws. It is very heavy, it measures 17" or 43cm app long and 12.5" or 32cm app wide.
    Polish Second Republic Wall EaglesPolish Second Republic Wall Eagles

Good topic Tom. That is a splendid example of a "Godło Państwowe" displaying a wz.27 eagle. The newspaper backing is a fortunate bit of provenance.

Here's one in my collection that is made from silver and gold bullion thread on a shield make red satin type fabric. The shield is edged with a gold bullion wire band. It has the same measurements and Tom's posted above, roughly 12 x 17 inches (~30 x 43 cm). The craftsmanship is exceptional. A tour de force of bullion work. I do not know much about this piece other than it supposedly spent part of its life in France. The wear and patina attest to its years, although exactly when it was made it unknown. We know only that the wz.27 pattern eagle puts it after 1927.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Another one to share. This is a nicely rendered eagle in the Jagiellonian style. Hand painted on a thin sheet of curved metal, it measures roughly the same as the two prior eagle plaques – 12 inches x 10 ½ inches (30 x 27 cm).

Just as with the eagle posted earlier, I wonder where and in what manner it was originally displayed. The only details I was able to obtain was that it was an item belonging to a long time antique collector / dealer named Miron Iskierka who passed away several years ago. He had lost both his parents in 1944 during the Warsaw Uprising leaving him orphaned along with his sister. At the time he was 14 years old. Iskierka was able to eke out an income selling items scrounged out of the Warsaw ruins. This became his initial source of income and by the 1970’s he had gained recognition as a respected authority on antiques at the Różycki Bazaar. His personal collection consisted in part of plaques, coat-of-arms, etc. Rarely traveling he spent virtually his entire life in Warsaw, and it is suspected that this eagle originated in Warsaw or the surrounding area.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Very nice eagles, guys!

The detail in these eagles is excellent and the birds are lovely.

Mark
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

Here's a beautiful example cast from plaster that is attributed to maker Jan Ambroży. You'll agree that the eagle is exquisitely rendered.

(images from auction held in Poland in Feb. 2006)

Cheers,
    Tony

I purchased this photo after spotting the strikingly similar rendition of the eagle to the one in post #3 above. The Jagiellonian eagles follow a similar stylized pattern, although are open widely to the interpretation of the artist. Unfortunately the eagle’s head in this c.1919 photo is obscured by a branch, but the visible remaining details have striking similarities. Same artist? We’ll never know. The seller estimated the date to about 1918, but again, no proof.

(click on photo to enlarge)

Side bar: the reverse of the photo is marked:

“Kochany Orzechowski, proszę przypilnować zakupienia 7 szczotek i 7 zgrzebeł do koni”

“Dear Orzechowski, please take care of the purchase of 7 brushes and 7 combs for the horses”

Cheers,
    Tony

Sold at today's DESA auction in Krakow. Measuring ~24x17cm

(click on photo to enlarge)

Regards,
    Tony

David Michnal
    ?

Nice examples guys. Any thoughts on this one? I bought it at an antique store in Kraków more as a souvenir than anything. The front seems to plaster or ceramic and the back frame and lip on side appears to be brass. Any thoughts on what this is? It's pretty stained with something gross looking...reddish-rust color.

CQE
    ?

Well, Polish Eagles are from MY wall and I would like to hear from you little bit what you know, etc.
    Thanks in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Second Republic Wall Eagles   Polish Second Republic Wall Eagles  

Polish Second Republic Wall Eagles   Polish Second Republic Wall Eagles  

Polish Second Republic Wall Eagles   Polish Second Republic Wall Eagles  

In order of posting, the 1st appears to be a modern patriotic cast brass eagle that I’ve seen for sale here and there and been tempted to purchase as it is quite attractive.

The 2nd, 4th, 5th and 6th are US made. Zawistowski covers some of these in this volume of his series on eagle badges. The entire series of four books (with more apparently to come) is well worth purchasing:

Regards,
    Tony

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast