Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Polish "Szabla" Wz.1934

Article about: Hi guys, I acquired this sword last week from an estate. The previous owner had liberally slathered the piece with cosmoline. It was messy but it kept the blade in great shape. Does anyone k

Default Re: Polish "Szabla" Wz.1934

Hi Piwo, Very interesting. At the end of a long day (same hour as it is now) with tired eyes I completely overlooked that second hanger ring. And yes, I now see that the grip wood is very dark as well. This throws a new wrinkle into things. One of my reference books pictures Marshall Edward Śmigły-Rydz’s presentation wz.34 that I will dig up and post tomorrow. It’ll be interesting to see if it has the twin scabbard rings and ebony grip. Until then . . .

Dobranoc!
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

This is a photo I have taken at MWP in Warsaw. You can clearly see the wz.34 with two hanger rings and black grip. Polish "Szabla"  Wz.1934
    Very nice private purchase example.

Quote by Hubal View Post
    This is a photo I have taken at MWP in Warsaw. You can clearly see the wz.34 with two hanger rings and black grip. Very nice private purchase example.
    Thanks for the picture Hubal. Of course, this is not just any private purchase example but none other than Marshal Śmigły-Rydz’s wz.34! Presented to him by the Huta Ludwików factory in 1936 on his promotion to the rank of Marshal of Poland.

As promised, the picture of Śmigły-Rydz’s presentation wz.34 and text taken from the recently issued book “Wrzesień 1939 - Wojsko Polskie 1935-1939 - Zbiory Muzeum WP” (ISBN: 9788361529330). Even though entirely in Polish I highly recommend this book to anyone with even a passing interst in Polish militaria. It is packed full of photographs of the Polish Army Museum’s exhibits and makes for fascinating viewing.

Here's a brief translation of the portions relating to this sabers specifications, but first off this tidbit which will be of great interest to Piwo:

“This officer’s version of the wz.34 is possibly the only historically confirmed example of its type”

Piwo, you may own a very rare piece.

“The blade is identical to the soldier’s version with the exception of being nickel plated . . . one side is marked “(to the) Commander in Chief”. On the edge of the blade marked “HL” (Huta Ludwików) and numbered “35” . . . wooden grips lacquered black . . . scabbard is steel nickel plated which is differentiated from the soldier’s wz.34 by having two hanger rings. . . . The saber was bequeathed to the museum in 2001. ”

Does anyone know the story behind this saber, and specifically were it was prior to being gifted to the museum in 2001? I wonder how it survived. Also, it’s a shame that the museum displays it in the scabbard thereby hiding the blade embellishment.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish "Szabla"  Wz.1934   Polish "Szabla"  Wz.1934  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

?

Tony,

The Polish collector from New York city area was Tadeusz Kwiatkowski. He identified my sword for me and told me that mine was only the fifth or sixth that he knew of in existence. He owned one, mine another with a collector from the Chicago area and I believe I recall him saying two in Poland. Some 10 years ago when Tadeusz and I first spoke about this sword he made me a a very tempting offer to purchase my sword. I asked him, after the sword is sold and I have spent the money .......what will I have....a memory? He reminded me..collectors don't own things.....we are stewards for these pieces of history.....we can't take any of it with us.

Thank you for sharing with me and everyone on this site about this sword.. I will try to find a copy of this book for my library. I promise to post some much clearer photo's in the near future.

sto lat,
    Piwo
    Last edited by Piwo2; 01-09-2012 at 03:36 AM.

Quote by Piwo2 View Post
    . . . He reminded me..collectors don't own things.....we are stewards for these pieces of history.....we can;t take any of it with us. . . .
    Words of wisdom and healthy to keep in mind while pursuing our collecting objectives.

We look forward to seeing good sharp close up pictures of your saber, especially the hilt and ricasso area. Is your wz.34's quillon pierced in the standard teardrop shape of the soldier's version or is it circular like the one in the Śmigły-Rydz saber?

Regards,
    Tony
    Attached Images Attached Images Polish "Szabla"  Wz.1934  Polish "Szabla"  Wz.1934 

irvingw
    ?

Default Replacement sword part ?

Good day,

I have a Polish Cavalry sword, No 1934 H. Ludwikow. I am looking for an original or replacment wood insert to repair the original handle piece.

Is there a firm that specializes in this type of part? Can anyone make a recommendation?

KInd thanks.

?

Default Szabla wz. 34 Condition

An elderly lady I know is downsizing and would like to sell her late husband's war trophy: a Polish Szabla wz. 34 Cavalry Saber, with matching serial number C4102 on blade and scabbard. I believe that means it is from just before halfway through Huta Ludwikow's third of four runs of 10,000 swords each between 1936 and 1939. I attach pictures. What does anyone think about its condition (rusty)? Should it be conserved or restored or left as is?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish "Szabla"  Wz.1934   Polish "Szabla"  Wz.1934  

Polish "Szabla"  Wz.1934   Polish "Szabla"  Wz.1934  

?

Sell it "AS IS"
    What is she asking for it?

thanks,
    Piwo

?

Piwo: I'm not sure. On 02/05/15, another wz. 34 sold on eBay for $2125 USD. It had a little less rust, but far more blade degradation.
    Regards, Scott

?

Default wz.34 szabla

A copy of the sword catalog from Huta Ludwiko
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish "Szabla"  Wz.1934  

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast