Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Is this a Polish WWII Brodie style helmet ?

Article about: Hello to all here in this forum. I'm new here in this forum, I'm from Portugal and I collect military helmets. A few years ago, my father bought in a flea market in Lisbon the helmet of this

?

Thanks, Filipe.
    Is this helmet repeinted?
    Great tin hat, anyway!
    Piotrek

?

Very interesting helmet, at first you would think a refitted Brodie from somewhere but the lack of hole in the top rules that out. All things point to it being of Polish origin, except that it doesn't look like anyone has ever seen one.
    Are there no heat stamps or ink stamps in the shell?

Steve.

Quote by ppp p View Post
    Thanks, Filipe.
    Is this helmet repeinted?
    Great tin hat, anyway!
    Piotrek

Hello Piotrek.
    Thank you for the comment.
    I'm not sure if this helmet was repainted with this dark green on top of the brown paint we can see below, or if this brown is some kind of primar coat paint.
    This is indeed a mistery helmet.
    Filipe

Quote by Tinhat View Post
    Very interesting helmet, at first you would think a refitted Brodie from somewhere but the lack of hole in the top rules that out. All things point to it being of Polish origin, except that it doesn't look like anyone has ever seen one.
    Are there no heat stamps or ink stamps in the shell?

Steve.

Hello Steve,

Yes indeed no hole in the top excludes beeing original Brodie.

There are no ink or heat stamps on the helmet, making this even more strange.

I don't have the Kijak book on Polish helmets, but found one page on Wikipedia about the WZ.31 model, and something I read there gives even more interest to my helmet. The brown colour that I see painted below the green, may after all be lead tetroxide paint, that was aplied in the helmets prior to the final paint that in this case was green.

To those interested please read this : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/He%C5%82m_wz._31

After a more careful reading of this wikipedia page, I'm starting to believe this may be a prototype helmet, produced by a Polish manufacturer prior to the WZ.31 style was adoptade.

The search continuous and all the help and comments are very welcome.

Thanks again.

Filipe

?

I'm not sure it's Polish helmet. Although one Polish member of Polish forum saw a similar one a long time ago - I wait for more info and pics.
    An early wz.31 had two paint: the first was "minia" - light brown primer paint and 2nd, external, "salamandra" or shine.
    Also its shape wasn't prefer by Polish Army before WWII. There was a lot of MkI or USM1917, but they was sold to other countries.
    Maybe it's a Polish product for foreign members. No idea in this moment...
    Piotrek

Very interesting helmet! At quick glance it looks like an Australian rimless brodie.
    Maybe its just my eyes, the helmet looks to be made out of a fiberglass material in some of those photos, is it definitely made out of steel?
    I have never seen one before.

Quote by ppp p View Post
    I'm not sure it's Polish helmet. Although one Polish member of Polish forum saw a similar one a long time ago - I wait for more info and pics.
    An early wz.31 had two paint: the first was "minia" - light brown primer paint and 2nd, external, "salamandra" or shine.
    Also its shape wasn't prefer by Polish Army before WWII. There was a lot of MkI or USM1917, but they was sold to other countries.
    Maybe it's a Polish product for foreign members. No idea in this moment...
    Piotrek
    Hello Piotrek,

Thanks for the message and it would be great if you could get more informations from that member.

I also don't think this helmet was used by the Polish army, but I believe it was done by a Polish factory, maybe one of those that later manufactured the WZ.31.

Best regards.

Filipe

Quote by christek View Post
    Very interesting helmet! At quick glance it looks like an Australian rimless brodie.
    Maybe its just my eyes, the helmet looks to be made out of a fiberglass material in some of those photos, is it definitely made out of steel?
    I have never seen one before.

Thank you Chris.

This helmet indeed leaves us thinking, but I can asure you that it's 100% steel and not fiberglass.

Best regards.

Filipe

I'm back with something I found recently, and it's something that gives more credit that this helmet I have may indeed be some kind of Polish prototype.

I found for sale on the website Allegro.pl one Polish WZ.31 helmet, with a liner exactly like my helmet has, in cloth and not leather.

Check the photos below and this link : He

I wonder if I'll ever find by whom and when this helmet was manufactured.

Is this a Polish WWII Brodie style helmet ?Is this a Polish WWII Brodie style helmet ?

Hi. Is this helmet magnetic? Other words , does it attract magnet. Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2