Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Polish wz 17 Body Armour

Article about: According to Hijak's Polish Helmet book, this Plish body armour is designated wz 17. It is illustrated in the book as well. I don't know anything about its use. I've never seen another one.

pjm
    ?

Default Polish wz 17 Body Armour

According to Hijak's Polish Helmet book, this Plish body armour is designated wz 17. It is illustrated in the book as well. I don't know anything about its use. I've never seen another one.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish wz 17 Body Armour   Polish wz 17 Body Armour  

Polish wz 17 Body Armour   Polish wz 17 Body Armour  

Polish wz 17 Body Armour  

Default Re: Polish wz 17 Body Armour

Very interesting item. I had never heard of this one before. Thanks for posting the pics!

Cheers, Ade.

pjm
    ?

My pleasure. I am hoping someone might have other pictures or know some additional information about it.

?

Quote by pjm View Post
    I am hoping someone might have other pictures or know some additional information about it.
    Hello,

Here's a picture of Flotylla Pińska sailors wearing German helmets wz 17 and body armour (source), but I'm almost sure those are not the same as yours. These more likely look like German Infanterie-Panzer...

According to the site mentioned above as source, German wz 17 helmets used in river flotilla were replaced in 1935, so the photo must have been taken earlier.

Regards,
    MJU

PS. This is my first post here, so I'd like to welcome everyone.

pjm
    ?

Great first post. It's not the wz17 armor but an amazing documentation of Polish use of German armor.

Quote by Jung View Post
    . . .
    PS. This is my first post here, so I'd like to welcome everyone.
    And we would like to welcome you “Jung”! Thank you for joining this forum. I very much look forward to your contribution, such as this nugget you just posted, which I know will greatly enhance the discussion here.

Best regards,
    Tony

3mk
    ?

Sorry for bringing a old thread up but Ill give it a go

The 17 in wz.17 is for the 17 in 1917 (Hope Im not to confusing!) It looks kinda like German World War 1 body armour so Im guessing this was designed for the Polnische Wehrmacht (I think this because the Polnische Wehrmacht made a tunic in the same year, The wz.17) and maybe some made their way to the Polish Legions.I doubt this saw much use in World War 1 but during the Wielkopolska and Silesian Uprisings I think these saw alot of use.And as pictured they were used in Post-war Poland.
    Hopefully we can put this thread to rest UInless someone has another example to show

Regards
    Emil