Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Polish Wz. 31 helmet

Article about: First of all, hello I'm a newbie with a question: WW2 RARE POLISH ARMY HELMET 1939, AFTER BATTLE CONDITION CHEAP INK STAMP INSIDE | eBay I realise the helmet is in really poor condition, but

Default Polish Wz. 31 helmet

First of all, hello I'm a newbie with a question:

WW2 RARE POLISH ARMY HELMET 1939, AFTER BATTLE CONDITION CHEAP INK STAMP INSIDE | eBay

I realise the helmet is in really poor condition, but can anything be done to halt the rusting or is it too far gone? I'm not too fussed about doing anything to it in terms of restoration or painting, but how quickly is it liable to fall appart in this state? Presumably too late to try sandblasting some of the worst rust off without destroying it?

Sorry if I posted in the wrong place, feel free to move the thread.

If you sandblasted it i think you would have more holes than helmet, gently scrub any loose rust off it and give it a spray with WD 40 or a thin layer of beeswax. Welcome BTW!...

I suspected that might be the case...thanks for confirming. I'm guessing putting some sort of coating on it as you suggest would at least slow down the rusting process somewhat?

Yup keep it in a dry place too and it'll slow down the decay!...

I'm rather ignorant when it comes to these things, how long would the lifespan be of something like that assuming it was treated and left alone on a dry shelf for viewing? 20 Years? 50?

It is of quite poor condition, however still nice example. You can clean it with e.g. Evapo-Rust (or something like this to remove corrosion) or just using the steel brush with WD40 (but in this case it will not remove the rust totally). Condition will not be excellent – edges will be rough and sharp, but in my opinion not significant holes would appear.
    This helmet has been found in aggressive soil as it is showed by corrosion. Look at my example of wz.31 helmet – I found this in a sandy dune in central Poland, near Bzura river. The condition is great – it was not cleaned, just washed with fresh water.
    The place where it was found, indicates that it belonged to a soldier of the 1 battalion of 58 Infantry Regiment, 14 Infantry Division, “Poznań” Army and was lost on September 10-11, 1939Polish Wz. 31 helmetPolish Wz. 31 helmetPolish Wz. 31 helmet

Hello Kosowski and welcome,

I’ve posted some pictures from the auction showing the helmet as a record for future viewers (ebay links are temporary). You may want to post your question in the restoring-refurbishing section of the forum here: Restoration & Refurbishing at War relics forum

And Tomasz, that’s a wonderful find! The condition doesn’t appear all that bad. I’ll take a shot from the hip that this might be an early Ludwikow product – circa 1934-35 judging by the “W.P.” stamp and the course and thick anti-reflective paint, both absent from later Ludwikow helmets.

Cheers,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Wz. 31 helmet   Polish Wz. 31 helmet  

Polish Wz. 31 helmet   Polish Wz. 31 helmet  

Polish Wz. 31 helmet   Polish Wz. 31 helmet  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    I’ll take a shot from the hip that this might be an early Ludwikow product – circa 1934-35 judging by the “W.P.” stamp and the course and thick anti-reflective paint, both absent from later Ludwikow helmets.

Cheers,
    Tony
    You are absolutely right - the other stamp indicates the number 35 - so, made in 1935, Ludwików! And the number 6 or 9 marked with pencil is still visible too. Regards! Tomasz

Hi Tomasz,

Thanks for confirming that. Once again, congratulations on an incredible ground find. The best such helmet I have seen to date!! Really an amazing find.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne