Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

polonia restituta commander

Article about: Hi everyone, what do you think of this 3rd class? Looks good to me, but one can never know. Thank's in advance

?

Default polonia restituta commander

Hi everyone,
    what do you think of this 3rd class? Looks good to me, but one can never know.

Thank's in advance

polonia restituta commanderpolonia restituta commander

Hello Utopis,

The gross appears genuine, but has some unsual characteristics. What does this cross measure across its width (ball end to ball end)?

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Thank's for your reply, Tony.
    Top to bottom: 57.5 mm
    left to right: 57.9 mm
    weight with short ribbon: 42.44 gr

You're most welcome. Your cross is the correct size for 3rd Class. Again, it appears genuine to me, but from another maker than Wiktor Gontarczyk, who is known to have produced the official government issue crosses. Here's a side by side comparison of the obverse center disc to a Gontarczyk 3rd Class cross. You can see numerous differences.

polonia restituta commander

One more thing is that the intermediate suspension ring is smaller on your cross to those found on the Gontarczyk made crosses. You can compare to the ones posted on the thread devoted to this decoration here:

The Order of Poland Restored (Polonia Restituta)

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

?

Yes the differences are obvious. So, what do you think? A privately purchased piece?

Yes, likely a private purchase made by one of several makers in Poland or perhaps even France.

Cheers,
    Tony

I've include pictures of your cross in the Polonia Restituta thread.

Cheers,
    Tony

Default Order of Polonia Restituta - commander

I think that my recent acquisition (presented in a newly introduced thread) might be exactly this type of medal. I wold be very curious to find out the producer and whom did it belong
    Best regards
    Sever
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture polonia restituta commander  

What exactly is a "privately purchased" decoration? Was it original or a copy?

Hello Sever,

Recipients of decorations sometimes opted to keep their official issues stored for safekeeping and obtained copies for wear. Producers of copies were typically jewelers and engravers who supplied the market with these products that in some instances were of a higher quality than the officially issued items. And while they are technically copies, this in no way detracts from their collectability or value. In fact, with the Order of Poland Restored (Polonia Restituta) crosses, the hallmarked copies are more sought after and valuable than the official issues.

Cheers,
    Tony

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast