Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Prewar Polish gas mask - info needed

Article about: Would like to learn more about this prewar Polish gas mask. When issued, to whom, where manufactured, effectiveness. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Default Prewar Polish gas mask - info needed

Would like to learn more about this prewar Polish gas mask. When issued, to whom, where manufactured, effectiveness. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by dastier; 12-13-2011 at 07:05 AM.

Default Re: Prewar Polish gas mask - info needed

According to the notes I have on pre-war Polish masks, this appears to be an Army issue Wz32. If you could tell me what markings are on it, I would be able to give you a more accurate answer. As for their service use within the Polish Armed Forces I am not too sure about as that isnt my area, however I do know that these were re-issued to the the German Luftschutz during the Second World War under another name. Effectiveness.... thats another tricky question to answer, however from a design point of view the mask and filter would be effective protection.

Thanks

Danny

PS, before someone else asks, can you use the photo uploader on the forum and not image hosting websites?

Thanks Danny. I'll check in the next few days for the markings. I know the label is in Polish. I found what appeared to be small crystals or small broken glass particles inside the bag. Any idea what that might be or had been?

Do you have any reference links for Polish gas masks, please?

I'll use the photo uploader next time. Not sure how it works but I'll figure it out.

There are some collectors online that have Polish masks in their collections, I'll see if I can find links to their websites. I have them on my computer somewhere

Heres a guide on how to use the photo uploader: New picture posting feature - How to guide !

Thanks

Danny

It is polish wz.32 mask. One of the first version if i see good ... there should be some stamps on the front of the bag and the "face". Probably you'll see something like "WZ.32" or WZ.32/DL or WZ.32/Kr (Dl - long hose, Kr - short hose). There also should be the size - M (small), S (medium) or D (big) or variations M/S (small/medium etc.). Below that should be number of series and factory - WSP or WWSP (both Radom factory). This type of mask was developed in few versions and patterns (short/long hose, wz.38 etc ...). Many of those masks after 1939 were reissued to Luftschutz gear. Some production was continued cause huge amount of german made masks exists. In my opinion they were one of the best gasmasks of the 30's.

Here is a sample:

WZ.32 (pattern)
    D (size: big)
    WWSP (Wojskowa Wytwórnia Sprzętu Przeciwgazowego - Army Factory of Anti-gas Gear - Radom)
    VIII-35 (month/year)
    357 (serie)

I wrote some articles about gasmasks in Polish Army, unfortunatelly all in polish. I was thinking about preparing something for "Skirmish magazine" but my english is not enough ...

Thanks Danny and Pat. I'm going to check my mask for markings. Plus I'll reload that photo using the uploader. I see now how easy it is to use plus the benefit of posting photos that way.

Very nice photo Pat - is that you?

...and your English is much better than my Polish! I think you should publish your work.

No, it's not me ... found it on the internet. I'm also enjoying reenacment as infantry soldier but this time it is not me

Quote by pat15567 View Post
    It is polish wz.32 mask. One of the first version if i see good ... there should be some stamps on the front of the bag and the "face". Probably you'll see something like "WZ.32" or WZ.32/DL or WZ.32/Kr (Dl - long hose, Kr - short hose). There also should be the size - M (small), S (medium) or D (big) or variations M/S (small/medium etc.). Below that should be number of series and factory - WSP or WWSP (both Radom factory). This type of mask was developed in few versions and patterns (short/long hose, wz.38 etc ...). Many of those masks after 1939 were reissued to Luftschutz gear. Some production was continued cause huge amount of german made masks exists. In my opinion they were one of the best gasmasks of the 30's.

WZ.32 (pattern)
    D (size: big)
    WWSP (Wojskowa Wytwórnia Sprzętu Przeciwgazowego - Army Factory of Anti-gas Gear - Radom)
    VIII-35 (month/year)
    357 (serie)

Hi Pat. I checked the mask and the bag for stencils. I could faintly make out part of the stencil on the bag - you were correct, my mask is a WWSP Model 32. The rest of the serial is too faint to make out. Mine appears to have a long hose. Could you measure the length of the hose on yours and the width of the mask from side to side on a horizontal line passing thru the center of the googles please. I'll compare your measurements to mine.

Danny: here's my gas mask using the uploader. Thanks for the tutorial.

Prewar Polish gas mask - info needed
    Last edited by dastier; 12-19-2011 at 07:10 AM.