Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

"September Connections" Polish Items Brought Back to Germany as Souvenirs by Wehrmacht Soldiers Thread

Article about: Dear All, I would like to add new thread, "September Connections" Polish items (September Campaign 1939), Brought back to Germany as a souvenir by the Wehrmacht soldiers. Please fe

?

"September Connections" Polish Items Brought Back to Germany as Souvenirs by Wehrmacht Soldiers Thread"September Connections" Polish Items Brought Back to Germany as Souvenirs by Wehrmacht Soldiers ThreadTomaszek , There is a new second book with more information by the same author.

For the benefit of the non-Polish speaking members here’s a brief English language summary of the Kazimierz Satora book excerpt graciously posted by Krakow1 in post #20. It covers the matter of German attempts to propagandize the capture of Polish regimental sztandary (banners) falsely as though acquired by victory in combat, when the reality is that none were captured this way. The guarding of the regimental colours, a symbol of the regiments honour and glory, was a sacred duty and not taken lightly. Those few that made it into German hands were acquired by being uncovered from hiding places through the activities of Volksdeutsche collaborators with the enemy.

Several September photos (such as the one with Hitler and Himmler) show a trumpet banner being examined. Other such captured banners and flags were photographed for propaganda purposes because genuine regimental sztandary were simply not being given up in combat. In one instance, the sztandar of the 54th Infantry Regiment was uncovered in October following the end of the campaign. It was photographed and publish in a German book about the victory in Poland having been antedated to September to falsely convey that it was captured in combat.

The Zeughaus repository is also mentioned as there were two successful “thefts” of Polish items from under the German noses, one in 1942 and in 1943. The trophies from the Polish campaign occupied a central spot in the Zeughaus, and the thefts caused the reorganization of the display and removal of the more valuable trophies for safekeeping.

The last interesting tidbit is that in 1967, the sztandary of the 65PP and 2P.Szwol. from the former Zeughaus were returned to Poland into the hands of the Polish Army Museum in Warsaw. This prompted continuing efforts by this museum resulting in a further seven being repatriated in 1971. In total there exist 133 pre-WW2 sztandary, 93 in Poland and 40 in London at the Sikorski Museum.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Tony, a extremely interesting and informative post.

I also saw a while back a post which I think was on this Forum or Wehrmacht Awards Forum, talking about a Prewar Polish Army Regimental Standard, which was found being forgotten after many years hidden under a family tomb's lid, which had been recovered and was undergoing extensive restoration, prior to display at a Polish Museum.

Quote by justin1939 View Post
    . . . a Prewar Polish Army Regimental Standard, which was found being forgotten after many years hidden under a family tomb's lid, which had been recovered and was undergoing extensive restoration, prior to display at a Polish Museum. . .
    Thanks Justin. And yes, I recall hearing something about this in the past year or so. It actually came to mind as I read the part where the total of 133 known existing sztandary is given.

I had also heard where one of these may reside in a private collection in Poland, which would further skew the known amount of survivors. If you hear anything solid be sure to post for us here.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

?

"September Connections" Polish Items Brought Back to Germany as Souvenirs by Wehrmacht Soldiers Thread

133 standards were in 1990. In 1992, they returned from Moscow, 3 standards; 84 Infantry Regiment from Pinsk, 18 Light Artillery Regiment from Ostrow Mazowiecka and the 1st Armored Train Division .

In the publication of 2001, Kazimierz Satora gave us information about there being 12 more.
    64 Infantry regiment was founded around 2010 in "Kampinos", near Warsaw.
    65 Infantry regiment was in a private collection in Warsaw.
    27 Uhlan Regiment was found in an old house, right now it's in the Museum of the Polish Army in Warsaw.
    A few standards are still in Moscow or Saint Petersburg. These standard are showed in Kijow autumn of 1939. There's a 3 Uhlan Regiment from Tarnowskie Gory..............
    I think that in a private collection that there is some more positions. I looked and explored for a standard 25th Uhlan Regiment (25 Pulk Ulanow Wielkopolskich, 25 p.ul.) from Pruzana but I had no luck. The standard is behind the Polish territory....... This was the biggest problem trying to obtain it.
    This is a very interesting subject that should be a number one piece of information all collectors should know about. What is important is that this standard for soldiers is information about what happened, 46 and 47 Infantry Regiment in war with Soviet, both Infantry regiment lost their standard and both were crossed out from the Polish Army. In the Soviet war of 1920, Polish Army won by fighting 53 Soviet's standard .
    The photo of the standard that went on auction here in the US a couple years ago is now in a museum in Poland. There's no sztandard regiment, but the organization of the non-commissioned officer was reserved.

?

27 Uhlan Regiment was found in an old house in 1996

?

Information about Standard in 65 Infantry Regiment.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture "September Connections" Polish Items Brought Back to Germany as Souvenirs by Wehrmacht Soldiers Thread  

?

6th Kaniowski Uhlan Regiment (6 pułk Ułanów Kaniowskich)/ 2009 /
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture "September Connections" Polish Items Brought Back to Germany as Souvenirs by Wehrmacht Soldiers Thread   "September Connections" Polish Items Brought Back to Germany as Souvenirs by Wehrmacht Soldiers Thread  

?

6th Kaniowski Uhlan Regiment (6 pułk Ułanów Kaniowskich) in 2009
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture "September Connections" Polish Items Brought Back to Germany as Souvenirs by Wehrmacht Soldiers Thread  

Thanks for your posts Robek. Very interesting.

Cheers, Tony

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast