Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Six Pilot wings from six countries—unique?

Article about: Thanks Dastier... for describing a very interesting slice of history Given the co-operation between Finland and Germany do you think any Finnish pilots fought alongside the German airforce a

Default Re: Six Pilot wings from six countries—unique?

Thanks Dastier... for describing a very interesting slice of history
    Given the co-operation between Finland and Germany do you think any Finnish pilots fought alongside the German airforce and Franco's forces in the Spanish Civil War given the anti-Bolshevik stance of the Finns?
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

I can tell you quite a bit about Erik Stenbäck. I show his personal memorabilia on my site. I know the collector who now has all his material. Stenback got his training and French qualifications in France in 1913 and went on from there. He is in fact Finnish (as many Finns, he has a name with Swedish roots). He also trained with the Prussian naval aviation program on floats at Rügen and qualified for his Prussian naval seaplane badge. Naturally he also has the Finnish m/18 pilot badge as well as the Estonian and Polish pilot badge and the badge of the Latvian Air Regiment. He was highly decorated and his full medal entitlement as well as his uniform and other items are shown at:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3560032&type=1

Quote by oldlincolnian View Post
    I can tell you quite a bit about Erik Stenbäck. I show his personal memorabilia on my site. I know the collector who now has all his material. Stenback got his training and French qualifications in France in 1913 and went on from there. He is in fact Finnish (as many Finns, he has a name with Swedish roots). He also trained with the Prussian naval aviation program on floats at Rügen and qualified for his Prussian naval seaplane badge. Naturally he also has the Finnish m/18 pilot badge as well as the Estonian and Polish pilot badge and the badge of the Latvian Air Regiment. He was highly decorated and his full medal entitlement as well as his uniform and other items are shown at:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3560032&type=1
    Magnificent collection of photos! Thank you for sharing the link and information.

Can you add any more information about when and where Stenbäck gained his Polish wing?
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Quote by 4thskorpion View Post
    Thanks Dastier... for describing a very interesting slice of history
    Given the co-operation between Finland and Germany do you think any Finnish pilots fought alongside the German airforce and Franco's forces in the Spanish Civil War given the anti-Bolshevik stance of the Finns?
    I'm not aware of any such cooperation and after viewing Erik Stenbäck's awards, I did not notice any Nazi decorations or anything referring to the Luftwaffe's Condor Legion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2