Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Some recent vacation finds (WZ.22? bayonet, 1927 mess kit, pre war Marynarka Wojenna photo)

Article about: Hello everyone! Annoyed from this ads?   I just came back from a two week vacation in Poland (mostly spent in the Tarnow/ Krakow region). It was a pretty short trip, but I tried to hunt

Default Some recent vacation finds (WZ.22? bayonet, 1927 mess kit, pre war Marynarka Wojenna photo)

Hello everyone!

I just came back from a two week vacation in Poland (mostly spent in the Tarnow/ Krakow region).

It was a pretty short trip, but I tried to hunt as much as I can. I noticed a number of fakes/ repros being passed as authentic like a 'legionnaire' bayonet for 600 zloty and some regimental badges for around 100.

I couldn't find much but here are my finds.

I did post these photos also in the attic/ barn finds section, so I apologize if you are seeing them again.

Artur

- - ------- - -

Some recent vacation finds (WZ.22? bayonet, 1927 mess kit, pre war Marynarka Wojenna photo)

The bayonet.

This came from my great uncle's farm and has been in the family as since at least the second world war. Both my grandma and great uncle say its from my great great grandfather but they both disagree on his service (one says Polish legion and the other Austrian Hungarian army).

The bayonet was produced post WWI so it could not have been issued to him. I am thinking that it was my great grandfather's who was mobilized for the September Campaign (I could be wrong).

I would appreciate any insight into the history of this bayonet!

Some recent vacation finds (WZ.22? bayonet, 1927 mess kit, pre war Marynarka Wojenna photo)Some recent vacation finds (WZ.22? bayonet, 1927 mess kit, pre war Marynarka Wojenna photo)Some recent vacation finds (WZ.22? bayonet, 1927 mess kit, pre war Marynarka Wojenna photo)Some recent vacation finds (WZ.22? bayonet, 1927 mess kit, pre war Marynarka Wojenna photo)Some recent vacation finds (WZ.22? bayonet, 1927 mess kit, pre war Marynarka Wojenna photo)

Is there any way for me to clean off the surface rust (is it even recommended)?

Some recent vacation finds (WZ.22? bayonet, 1927 mess kit, pre war Marynarka Wojenna photo)Some recent vacation finds (WZ.22? bayonet, 1927 mess kit, pre war Marynarka Wojenna photo)

Purchased in Tarnow

?

Looks like a WZ 22 to me as well, and with the rare mark of Zbr 4, for Armory No 4 in Krakow. Very nice find! The scabbard and frog are unfamiliar to me, but aren't Polish( as far as I know). I use a good gun oil and some 0000 steel wool to clean up bayo's in this condition, you don't want to polish, just gently scrub off the loose rust and kill any active rust. I have had good results with this.

Jim

If leather of the frog has dried and is stiff (so taking it off could be quite risky), you can use e.g. Ballistol Oil which is dedicated both to metal and leather. It should stop corrosion at least.

Thank you for the advice Jim. Tomasz, the leather is dry and stiff so I will have to be pretty careful. I start my classes at school today so I won't have much time for any projects for a while. Once I do, I'll post results of the cleaning up here. Hopefully it will turn out nicely!

Hi Artur, thanks for sharing your finds. Agreed with Jim, the scabbard doesn’t appear to be of Polish manufacture and is not correct for this bayonet. Evidently added at some point. I don’t see any flaking heavy rust or accumulation of dirt, so aside from a light wipe down to remove dust and any debris I’d be inclined to leave it as is. Not to disrespect prior comments by Jim and Tomasz, I quite like seeing un-messed with pieces like this, and don’t see anything wrong with the honest age that eight decades have brought. Cleaner does not always equal better, and often quite the opposite with such things.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Hello Artur,
    That is a great looking bayonet and it appears to be all original.
    The leather frog is 100% Polish wz.22 and it is a rarity so be careful how you clean it. If I could advice, don't just use any oil or moisturizer because it will be a shame to destroy this frog.
    The scabbard appears to be Austrian, because it comes with a polish frog so it can be assumed that it was a period replacement. Austrian equipment was readily available after WWI especially in Krakow where this bayonet was produced.
    Very nice and unique set, so don't overdo with too much cleaning.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast