Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Star of the "Order of the White Eagle"

Article about: Hi Guys! I need Your opinions about this silver Star. Is it original item? Regards Tom

Default Star of the "Order of the White Eagle"

Hi Guys!

I need Your opinions about this silver Star.
    Is it original item?

Regards
    Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Star of the "Order of the White Eagle"   Star of the "Order of the White Eagle"  

Hi Tom,

Here is a side by side comparison to a known genuine star, which I believe is a Wiktor Gontarczyk product. You can see numerous differences suggesting that the star you pictured may be the work of another producer, although one cannot rule out the possibility of it being a variant of the same producer. As you know, the Order of the White Eagle is one of the rarest of Polish 2nd Republic decorations, being awarded only 24 times to Polish citizens and 88 times to foreigners, and extant production information is unfortunately every bit as scarce.

Click on the photos to enlarge.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

I saw this listed on ebay.fr - sold for 421 EUR if memory serves correctly. My biggest issue was around the lettering; seems quite "blocky" especially with the Polish characters. Just my two cents...

Agreed Brandon, the lettering is a different size. Also note the accents, especially the “O” on the bottom arm of the cross. Other readily visible differences are the star rays, clearly from a different matrix. The background to the red enamel on the cross arms are quite different. The central wreath is more defined in the known genuine example, and the center medallion appears to be of a different size.

I was unaware that was a French ebay listing. This opens the possibility of this being a French made copy. It’s evidently a quality piece, entirely in keeping with what I’ve seen from French makers.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Front of the star its the same like this:

Order Or

Not identical, but very similar. The background "chiseling" to the red enameled area is different. The one sold on French ebay has a distinct "bordering" pattern to the perimeter that seems to be missing from the one sold on Allegro. (click on picture to enlarge)

Interesting to note in the auction description that "According to the experts it was made by Stanisław Olszewski". Here's an Olszewski made Cross of Merit. Note the similarities to the background pattern in the red enameled cross arms, and in particular this maker's unique and characteristic bordering detail.

Regards,
    Tony

Hello Everyone,

The last living recipient of the Order of the White Eagle awarded pre 1939, died yesterday 5th December 2017 King Michael I of Romania below is a photograph of him accompanying his Father King Karol II on an official visit to Poland in 1937 both are wearing the Sash and Star of the order.

double click to enlarge in a new page.

Best wishes

Andrzej