Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 27 of 70 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 37 ... LastLast

Virtuti Militari Thread

Article about: Hi.It's a virtuti militari thread so I'm just curious.Is that original Polish armed forces in the West virtuti with engraved 1944 date on the back? Cheers.

?

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    Simon, don't you mean to say that they were NOT made by the same manufacturer?

Regards,
    T.
    Hi Tony,
    I meant the same maker. All features are identical: inscription on front and back, shape of eagle and wreath, shape of cross and balls on cross's arms. Only difference I can spot are lines that separate eagle body from its wings. This may be justified by different quality of those two crosses. It is just my opinion, not based on any documents.
    Regards,
    Simon

?

I am looking for information on Virtuti Militari # 8128 recipient...
    thanks

Ppor Pilot Stanislaw Skarzynski, was with 21 Eskadra Lotnicza during Soviet War. Died as a LT Colonel 26 June 1942 in North Sea, coming back from a Raid on Bremen, Germany.
    Very famous airman. Lots of stuff about him on google. Including pictures. I would really examine that VM in detail.........
    He set some records for flying.

Hello Simon,

Whilst Krakow1 is correct that the Virtuti Militari 8128 was awarded to Podporucznik Pilot Stanislaw Skarzynski serving with 21 Eskadra Lotnicza during the 1918-1921 war.

This is not the Stanislaw Skarzynski who went on to fame breaking flying records that was Stanislaw Jakub Skarzynski who during the Polish-Soviet war 1919-1920 served with the 29PSK has a Podporucznik and was awarded the Virtuti Militari Numbered 5198, photo of his legitymacja is shown below previously posted here.

Virtuti Militari Thread

With regards to Ppor Stanislaw Skarzynski awarded the VM numbered 8128, I will now start to look through the Rocznik Oficerski (Officers Yearbook) and will let you know what I find

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hello Simon,

With reference to Skarżyński Stanisław (23 April 1897) - por. lotn, the only information that I have been able to find was his Date of Birth, I have gone through the Rocznik Oficerski (Officers Yearbooks) for 1923, 1924, and the Reserve Officers Yearbook for 1934, all with no joy in finding him.

I will now work through the Daily Orders for 1920-1923 to see if he is listed as beinging killed which a lot of early pilots were.

The information that I found was from the Army Museum in Warsaw list of Officers from 1920.

I will let you know what I find.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hello Simon,

Lady Luck was smiling on us both today.

Virtuti Militari Thread

May I introduce you to Porucznik pil. Stanisław Jan Skarżyński awarded the VM 8128

Born on the 23rd April 1897 in Aleksandrowie, the son of Jan & Joanna (nee Walowski), educated at Sosnowiec then went to University in Nizhny Novgorod. Where on the 26th June 1916 he was called up into the Russian Army has an Ensign in the 31st Infantry Regiment.

After the fall of the Czar and his government he made his way to Odessa and joined Polish Forces there.

On the 12th November 1918 he arrived in Warsaw to start Pilot training and after graduating he was posted to 21 Eskadra.

On the 15th July 1920 he was the pilot of a plane, with him was an observer a Kapitan Arthur Kelly from the 7 Eskadra, they spotted Bolshevik troops near the village of Zwierowca and they decided to attack when their plane was hit by Bolshevik Artillery killing them both.

Both men where buried in the Eaglets Cemetery in Lwow.

Simon, that is all that I could find for you, hopefully some one else might have some more information which they might add.

Best wishes

Andrzej

?

thank you Andrzej for all that information It's been very helpful

one more number: 9128. I wonder if it belonged to the person, that someone claims has his medals group.

Hello Simon,

Many thanks for your post the Recipients of the Silver Virtuti Militari Numbered 9128 was Porucznik Pilot Teofil Pożyczka 301 Bomber Squadron.

Date of Birth : 27th April 1912 Radom

Date of Death : 28th October 1974 Ipswich

Service Number : 76737

Teofil served with both 300 & 301 Squadrons during the war, in the early 1970's he was attending a PAF Reunion during which he had a fall which left him paralysed from the neck down.

Here are some photographs of Teofil Pożyczka during the war :

Virtuti Militari Thread

Virtuti Militari Thread

Teofil after receiving His DFC.

Virtuti Militari Thread

Teofil Pożyczka death notice in the Polish Newspaper published in the UK.

Virtuti Militari Thread

Major Teofil Pożyczka awards.

Simon, I sincerely hope that the above information is of some use and help to you.

Best wishes

Andrzej

p.s. click on the photographs to enlarge in a new window

?

Thank you Andrzej once again. Very interesting and very helpful information. Cleared some questions
    Thanks again

?

Hi Andrzej,
    One more request. VM cross #9126. I know it was awarded to Sq Ldr Kazimierz Nowak of 305 Bomber Squadron. I know all info from "Krzystek's list". I know he and his crew, on June 26 1942, had a plane failure and had to land in North Sea, near Great Yarmouth, and were rescued 8 hrs later. Can you dig out some more info on him, please?
    Thanks a bunch up front

Page 27 of 70 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 37 ... LastLast