Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 52 of 70 FirstFirst ... 2 42 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 62 ... LastLast

Virtuti Militari Thread

Article about: Hi.It's a virtuti militari thread so I'm just curious.Is that original Polish armed forces in the West virtuti with engraved 1944 date on the back? Cheers.

Hello Everyone,

To Continue the Faces of Recipients of the Virtuti Militari, the following photograph from 1926 of a Recipient :

Virtuti Militari Thread

Por.pil.. Elliot William Chess Virtuti Militari Numbered : 1958

Virtuti Militari Thread

After Flying Elliot Chess started to write stories for Magazines

Virtuti Militari Thread

Pplk pil. Cedric Errol Fauntleroy Virtuti Militari Numbered : 63

Virtuti Militari Thread

Pplk. pil. Merian Caldwell Cooper Virtuti Militari Numbered 3024

Best wishes

Andrzej

Quote by Chris109 View Post
    Your mention of Merian Cooper: I came across a picture of (some?) of Cooper's medals in a relatives belongings.

Attachment 1328153
    Looks like the Virtuti Militari is a wtornik, and the " Swoim Zolnierzom z Ameryki ..." or the Cross for Polish American Soldiers is a wtornik as well and the ribbon is backwards ? The Polish Cross for American Soldiers was minted by J. Chylinski, there were 25 thousand made in 1920 and without enamel.
    All and all in this frame there is nothing that identifies this to anyone.... maybe the Cross of Valor is numbered and there is a Legitymacja somewhere.
    Also the KW hanger looks strange....

Yes, an interesting assortment that appears to have been put together as a representative decoration grouping, such as what might be found in a museum display to honour the accomplished Mr. Cooper. Evidently assembled a long time ago, and likely with some effort, as all items look to be genuine or legitimate replacement ‘wtorniki’ rather than modern knock offs.

The KW is contained in the Krogulec catalogue under #24. The scarcest of the three variants with the unusual suspension. Manufacture of this cross has recently been attributed to Grupa Techniczna, although I’ve yet to see any real proof of this.

The VM appears to be the Middle Eastern version, commonly credited to jeweler Chaim Rubin, but as of yet not positively verified.

The Commemorative Medal for the War of 1918-1821 is a French made Delande.

The Cross for Polish American Soldiers is said to be a deluxe officer-grade version of the basic stamped metal Chylinski made cross mentioned by Krakow1. The cross here is made by Whitehead & Hoag Co. of Newark, New Jersey, estimated in the 1930’s-40’s. The red-white ribbon is found mounted both ways, although the red should be on the right. A little detail probably thought to be unimportant by the person assembling the cross. This is a rare cross, and not to be confused with the much lower quality copies made in Poland that surface on the market from time to time. My recently acquired one pictured below, which was on my want list for over a dozen years.

The Haller Swords is also a Whitehead & Hoag Co. product.

Lastly, the 3rd Class Order of Poland Restored looks to be a pre-war made Gontarczyk.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Virtuti Militari Thread   Virtuti Militari Thread  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Hello DEAR Andrzejku

Is it possible to find a soldier in the lists of English residents?

PERSONAL DATA
    surname:SCHMIDT
    name: Wacław
    date of birth: 1908

TRACKING INFORMATION
    Source: Military Historical Research Office:
    prisoner of war
    POW camp :VII A;Murnau prison
    prisoner number:37791
    participant in the fighting September 1939 campaign WIZNA
    military assignment: P.R.K., Ośr. Wyszk.rez.Piech. / 135 pp.
    military rank:Capt.

kpt.Wacław Schmidt was awarded cross Virtuti Militari class V number 13785.

According to the available information, the order was awarded by the chapter VM in London in 1972. The footprint of this officer breaks off in 1945. In Polish sources available, our fate is unknown ...
    His account of the September campaign 1939 is in IPMS:sygn.B.I.16:Załogi Osowiec i Wizna.

Maybe the English censuses state where he lived and what year he died...

THX

Best wishes

Artur

Hello Artur,

Many thanks for your post, unfortunately the Census is not available for 100 years after it is taken.

Waclaw Schmidt, Born 29th September 1908, 1932 Rocznik Oficerski lists him on pages 133, & 559 at that time he was serving in the 29PP as a Podporucznik (2nd Lieutenant) he was made a Ppor. on the 15th August 1931 and was 196th in seniority.

He died at the Polish Hospital in Penley in 1984 and was buried in Wrexham, Maelor, Denbighshire, Wales.

Hope that this helps.

Andrzej

Hello Everyone,

I came across the following Legitymacja whilst surfing the WWW.

Virtuti Militari Thread

Virtuti Militari Legit Numbered 6734 awarded to Wiesław Orłowski

Virtuti Militari Thread

Virtuti Militari Legit Numbered 7434 awarded to Szymon Pasternak along with the KN and KW x 3 etc.

Best wishes

Andrzej

?

Hello DEAR Andrzejku

About PASTERNAK Szymon born 1891-08-28 in Łętownia powiat Myślenice.Fathers name Andrzej;Chapter VM;66-5850.KW,rank sgt.91/P-469.

Virtuti Militari Thread
    Virtuti Militari Thread

WBH sygn.I.482.66-5850, VM;rank starszy sierżant rezerwy.Kolekcja Akt Personalnych i Odznaczeniowych.

About ORŁOWSKI Wiesław born 1894-06-06 in Mińsk Litewski.Fathers name Piotr.

WBH sygn.I.482.75-7071, VM;rank kapitan rezerwy.Kolekcja Akt Personalnych i Odznaczeniowych.

Best wishes

Artur

?

Hello Everyone

Silver Cross of the Order of Virtuti Militarii;wtórnik nadaniowy zakład Miecznika.

Performed in the post-war years in the workshop of Władysław Miecznik.

Replacement for lieutenant colonel Czesław Szyndler (colonel engineer Czesław Szyndler alias "Czech") of the 2nd Infantry Regiment of Legions.

The stamped transmission number (6972) and the lower arm (M).

Wear marks. Worn silvering.

Ribbon soiled and worn.

The condition of the item is very good / good.

Gold-plated, silver-plated bronze, enamel. Dimensions 41.5 x 38.5 mm.

Virtuti Militari Thread

Virtuti Militari Thread

Virtuti Militari Thread

Lt.colonel Czesław SZYNDLER born 1892-07/(06)-06 in Warszawa;fathers name Eustachy.
    Awarded also KW;Merit Cross-Krzyż Zasługi;KN.

Virtuti Militari Thread

Virtuti Militari Thread

Virtuti Militari Thread

Virtuti Militari Thread

Virtuti Militari Thread
    Perhaps KW issue numbers???

WBH sygn.06.06.1931, KN;I.482.76-7299, VM Kolekcja Akt Personalnych i Odznaczeniowych.

Best wishes

Artur

?

Hello DEAR Andrzejku

Is it possible to provide number VM and unit:

starszy wachmistrz KACZMAREK Franciszek born 1893-03-23 in Adamowo pow. Wolsztyn.Father's name Szczepan.

WBH sygn.I.482.21-1503, VM

THX

Best wishes

Artur

Hello Artur,

Virtuti Militari Numbered 4052, awarded when a Wachm. Unit : 15PULP.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Page 52 of 70 FirstFirst ... 2 42 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 62 ... LastLast