Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 70 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 56 ... LastLast

Virtuti Militari Thread

Article about: Hi.It's a virtuti militari thread so I'm just curious.Is that original Polish armed forces in the West virtuti with engraved 1944 date on the back? Cheers.

Default re: Virtuti Militari Thread

Hi Dzianis,

Interesting cross. It does appear to be a pre-war vintage ‘jeweler’s copy’ based on the style and quality of details. Although the lack of enameling on the wreath is puzzling. I’ve looked over my archives and cannot find a similar example, especially with the very small ball ends on the cross arms. Very unusual cross. Unfortunately for now needs to be relegated to the ‘unknown maker’ category.

Thanks for posting it nonetheless

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Hi Tony,
    Here the photo is better, yes it is the private engraver. But on a wreath remained either a varnish or enamel such.
    Regards,
    Dzianis
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Virtuti Militari Thread   Virtuti Militari Thread  

Hi again Dzianis,

Thanks for the added photo. I don’t see any evidence that there ever was any enameling of the wreath, which again is quite unusual for a pre-war replacement cross. Sorry, still unable to offer any more information to help identify the maker. As you know, there were several makers of these crosses in pre-war Poland, and unfortunately some remain unknown as records have been lost. I’ve compared it to known products of other makers (including Knedler, Nagalski, Owczarski, Wabinski, Krupski i Matulewicz, Reising, Gontarczyk, and Bialas) and it does not appears to be a product if any of them. We can’t rule out that it may be of French origin either. Hopefuly someone else may chime in with a suggestion.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Hi, Tony.
    Compared two matrixes are almost identical. Yes here also Bjalos with small balls on beams. And a cross with it is yellow a green wreath.
    Regards,
    Dzianis
    Virtuti Militari ThreadVirtuti Militari ThreadVirtuti Militari ThreadVirtuti Militari ThreadVirtuti Militari ThreadVirtuti Militari Thread

Hi Dzianis,

Good work with the side by side comparisons. I essentially did the same thing as I was looking to match yours with those in my photo archives.

As you can see, there is a lot of consistency from maker to maker. But while some are indeed very close to yours there are differences that prevent a positive match and therefore identification to a maker.

I’ve saved images of your cross and will keep an eye out for you.

Regards,
    Tony

Tony's thanks, I will be very grateful for your help.
    Regards,
    Dzianis

Here is a Legitymacja for Virtuti Militari number 4566 belonging to Por (Lieut) Antoni Mleczkowski from 45th Borderlands Rifle Regiment.
    The picture was taken in Wilno.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Virtuti Militari Thread   Virtuti Militari Thread  

Virtuti Militari Thread  

Here is a copy of his Main Record Card. He was also a Cross of Valor winner.

Virtuti Militari Thread  

Greate itomes group.

Hi, good group. It is a pity there is no award.

Page 6 of 70 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 56 ... LastLast