Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 10 of 70 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 60 ... LastLast

Virtuti Militari Thread

Article about: Hi.It's a virtuti militari thread so I'm just curious.Is that original Polish armed forces in the West virtuti with engraved 1944 date on the back? Cheers.

Default re: Virtuti Militari Thread

Quote by 3mk View Post
    Hi guys,

Does anyone know who might be the manufacturer of this Cross? The description says its likely of Italian WW1 manufacture.
    Order of Virtuti Militari | eMedals

Attachment 500385

Attachment 500386
    Hi Emil, this might be a Picchiani & Barlacchi product. I would think early post WW2 rather than WW1.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Quote by prezesdel View Post
    Hi all,
    I've just been wondered if you may have any pre-war Virtuti's in cases. If you have one please post a photo
    Cheers
    Hi Michael,

You’ll probably remember this 4th Class Reising made cased VM that sold in May 2012 for over $4700. Originally awarded to Japanese General Horiuchi.

I’ve posted a Wabinski VM in case here:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/polis...wicz-287350-3/

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Virtuti Militari Thread   Virtuti Militari Thread  

Virtuti Militari Thread   Virtuti Militari Thread  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Hi Tony,
    Thanks for your reply. I can well remember this 4th class VM Also, this case for Wabia-Wabinski cross, I can remember from Allegro, from about 2008-9. Do you know, if the 5th classes were issued in cases?
    Thanks,
    Michael

Hi Michael,

That 4th class VM was an exciting auction listing. Seldom do we see such pieces hit the open market. I knew the closing price would be high, but wasn’t expecting it to end up as high as it did.

Re. your question, I do not know for certain if all 5th Class privately made crosses were issued in cases. Of course, the existence of maker marked packaging and cases as is being covered in the other thread is proof that private retailers packaged their products in this manner. And this would lead one to confidently conclude that an order of the importance of a VM would certainly qualify for better than a paper bag. The Wabinski box is of the type and size ideal for such a purpose, and is consistent in size and construction to other such boxes used to house decorations. I remain perpetually on the hunt for any evidence of such packaging used by pre-war and PSZ producers of militaria. As you know, very little has survived, and information is virtually non-existent.

I have just posted a Kweksilber cased commemorative pennon, which you’ll likely also recall from a past Allegro listing:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/polis...-3/#post900489

Cheers,
    Tony

this is mine, picked up today for my private collection, what do you think, #9773

any idea where to find info on the rewarded?

Kindest, Michiel
    Gen. Maczek Museum Breda
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Virtuti Militari Thread   Virtuti Militari Thread  

Virtuti Militari Thread  

Hello Michiel, and welcome to the forum.

Your cross appears to be a Jan Knedler product dating from before WW2. It is suspended from a Swiss made ribbon, the same supplier that produced the ribbons for government issue crosses.

Although I have not found and mention of this in the very limited extant reference sources, there’s sufficient evidence to indicate that this series of VM’s was a special order placed by the government with Jan Knedler. Knedler also had the government contract for the production of the official issue Cross of Valour. The Knedler VM’s crosses are very obviously of a higher quality than the Krupski i Matulewicz products sitting in the government vaults at the time. Due to the known dissatisfaction with the KiM crosses along with the practice of bestowing foreigners with orders and decorations of the highest available grade, there’s little doubt that this was a batch officially commissioned by the government.

Thank you for sharing your new acquisition with us, and congratulations

Cheers,
    Tony
    Last edited by A.J. Zawadzki; 06-10-2015 at 08:53 PM. Reason: updated information

Thank you very much Tony,

Yes I was aware of the wearing rule and based on that and the high details in the adlers wings I was suspecting a private purchase. Though it's the second piece I ever had in hand (the museum has a named one, with uniform etc), I was pretty happy about this one, it was a lucky shot.

I very much appriciate your help,

kindest regards,
    Michiel

Hi again Michiel,

The eagle in the center shield is the classic Knedler with the distinctive upswept wings. And along with the split wreath this is the easiest way to pick out one of his VM’s. I have heard, however, that his pattern may have been copied by other makers, and because this cross is not maker marked there’s always the possibility that this is a product of one of those other makers.

I overlooked replying to your question about who was awarded this VM:

Quote by michiel01 View Post
    . . . Though it's the second piece I ever had in hand (the museum has a named one, with uniform etc), . . .
    OK, here’s the deal – you post pictures of the VM and uniform in the Gen. Maczek Museum in Breda, and I’ll let you know who VM # 9773 was awarded to! Agreed?

Cheers,
    Tony

Tony, we have a deal! I can provide the photos next week. I'm only there once a week. But will be no problem at all.
    Thank you, Michiel
    (Hope he is one of Maczek's or Sosabowski's guys...)

Hi again Michiel,

OK, in good faith that we'll see nice clear close up pictures of the VM cross and uniform next week . . .

VM #9773 was awarded for the Polish-Soviet war of 1920 to a Belgian national's valorous contribution to the Polish victory, Sergeant Maurice J. Billiet. The block of VM’s from numbers 9700 through 9924 were awarded to foreigners for their assistance in preserving Poland’s new independence after 123 years of partition and halting the spread of communism into Europe.

Regards,
    Tony

Page 10 of 70 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 60 ... LastLast