Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

What information can be gleaned from this military uniform?

Article about: I have attached a photo of a relative in military uniform. I believe he was born about 1900 in Horodenka which was a town in the Galician region of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Today, this t

Fleurette
    ?

Default What information can be gleaned from this military uniform?

I have attached a photo of a relative in military uniform. I believe he was born about 1900 in Horodenka which was a town in the Galician region of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Today, this territory belongs to the Ivano Franvs'k (spelling?) region of Ukraine. Someone told me it was a Polish military uniform, but I do not know. Is anyone able to provide any insight? My ultimate goal is to learn something about the nature of this man's military service. Thank you in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What information can be gleaned from this military uniform?  

CBH
    ?

All I can tell you is it's a Polish uniform .
    Are the black spots war time censorship ?

CBH
    ?

Also welcome to the forum ! I'm sure someone with more information will help you out .

Private of the Polish Army, probably infantry (looking at the collar patches), however boots suggest rather mounted forces (artillery?). Parabellum P08 pistol holster and sabre were probably requisite / prop of the photo atelier. Photo taken between 1920-1927.

Fleurette
    ?

I also wondered about the spots. I thought perhaps the uniform had been patched, but I really don't know. I wonder if I'd be able to find any records for this soldier, but that's probably a topic for a different forum. 😬

CBH
    ?

I was thinking the black spots might be war time censorship , blacking out unit insignia etc .

As regards black spots - it is accidental defect. No patches, no insignia were worn in this area. No wartime censorship intervention could take place as well.

CBH
    ?

I wasn't sure about Polish metal placement , and I didn't really mean war-time .
    More that the political fortunes changed over time , and wearing somethings might look bad at later date .